Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

4/15/2016

Pattern Review - McCall's 7119

Hey all! I'm back reviewing yet another McCall's pattern.

Funny how most of the patterns I seem to be making are from McCall's. Sure, there's been a Simplicity thrown in there, but McCall's just seems to be my go-to lately.

That's ok, I find that I migrate between the pattern companies depending on my mood and styling preferences. McCall's is very up to date, but not over the top crazy. They seem to keep it classy and elegant while not being dated. Simplicity would be more en vogue, but Vogue is always the creme de la creme! Butterick is more modest and not always up to date, but they do have some great staple classic pieces that the other 3 pattern companies don't. Butterick also has Patterns by Gertie, which are super fun.

Anyways, back to the current pattern. I found this pattern a couple of weeks ago, and it was an impulse buy. It's a versatile dress that I totally envisioned wearing this summer at the winery or out on a date, or just because.

Then while at Jo-Ann's with Mom a week or so later, we found some great linen on clearance. Squee! It's a multi-colored print that will seriously go with everything. I also love linen. This is a linen-blend so it won't wrinkle as badly as true linen, which is nice, because I hate ironing.

I decided to go with View A on this dress, but without the contrast. I got enough yardage for View B, because I knew that I'd have to lengthen the skirt by at least 6" and since I wasn't having a contrasting fabric, I'd need the extra fabric for the bias cut ties. I think I have enough fabric leftover for a cute little dress for Baby Girl.

The pattern went together super quick, and easy. I did have to add an extra dart in the bodice, because I lack the side boob for a size 16, but that alteration was quick and painless. it does alter the line of the armhole a bit, but I don't mind because it looks much better than the gappy mess that was there before I added the dart.


I also altered how the facing was finished, because I'm lazy. I only folded under 1/2" instead of the 5/8" seam allowance so that I could stitch in the ditch on the front and still sew the facing down. I hate hand sewing. I would definitely recommend this pattern to anyone with sewing experience. There's nothing overly complicated about it, and the guide sheet details the construction perfectly.


So there it it is, my new summer dress. Now I just need Mother Nature to get with the program and give us some warm weather so that I can wear it!


No comments:

Post a Comment