Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

9/15/2017

Pattern Review - Simplicity S0982


I'm back! With another post even! What?! That's like 2 in a week. Well more like 2.5, because Dana wrote most of the PSL post from Wednesday, and I only added my $.02 worth. Still!

So this post has been in the works since March. March, people! I technically finished the sewing of this dress back in March, and then it sat on my dress form until last week, when I finally got around to finishing it. It needed buttons and buttonholes. That's it. I got 98% done, and then it sat. For 6 months! I know I'm not the only one who does that. I mean, I can't be, right?!

With fall weather arriving, it was the perfect time to finish this dress, because the yellow and black buffalo plaid is also a lightweight flannel, and who doesn't love flannel?  I do also need  to apologize for the lack of good pictures, apparently I've forgotten how I set up my phone to take full pictures of myself.

So the pattern was simple and straightforward, as most shirt dresses are, but this one has the nice added touch of having a tailored shirttail hem, but it was also on the short side. Always. So I cut out my dress in the longest length, and then simply shifted the pattern down to cut out the shaped shirttail hem. Easy peasy. I like my skirt hems to be 24" from my waist, but this one is 23" which is totally ok.

I also needed to alter the pattern between the bust and hips, because I'm not a one size fits all girl. So after adjusting the side seams to accommodate my many sizes, I had a dress that was ready to be put together.


Sewing it up was easy and straightforward with no surprises. I mean, it's a shirtdress, how many different ways are there to make one?  And after the 6-month hiatus, putting in the buttonholes and attaching the buttons was easy, although I didn't realize that I had very dark blue thread in my machine instead of black, so now I have very dark blue button holes. Oh well. C'est la vie.

I would say this pattern would be good for the adventurous beginner. It's not a difficult pattern, by any stretch, but it could seem a little daunting to a sewer who just unpacked their first sewing machine.

So last week, we had some wonderful fall-like weather, and so it was the perfect time to test out my new dress, and step out of my very safe fashion box. You see, I'm not very good at pairing ankle boots with anything. I'm just not certain of just how to wear them, but the model on the envelope is wearing them. Therefore, so can I. Pairing the dress and boots with a blanket scarf was also new, I know we've talked about my adventures in scarf wearing, but I've never attempted a blanket scarf. So much newness going on! I was brave though, and put my best booted foot forward and went on my way.


Its funny how doing something small, like stepping out of your fashion box, can give you such confidence. I am very pleased with how the whole look came together, and am so excited for more fall weather so that I can don this outfit again. As it is, I'm currently wearing my Key West Circle Top and shorts, because summer is making a last stand.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Do you have a tutorial or any video recommendations for this pattern? I'm a beginner and just got this pattern; I'm on a time crunch, and altering the pattern (in a non-scientific way) to have a V-neck, no collar, no interfacing, and only 2-3 buttons below the v-neck. Any tips on how to alter it in this way? I'm also doing the long sleeves in the A option but with a C or D body (I'll probably do the D option for shirttail hem).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RockyPcky,

      Thanks so much for stopping by. Unfortunately, I don't have a tutorial or video reommendations for this pattern. The guide sheet included in the pattern is fairly thorough, but the alterations you want to make are quite advanced. Honestly, I would recommend finding a new pattern, because this is what I would do. There is no sense in reinventing the wheel when someone has already done it for you. Simplicity 8384 (https://goo.gl/nHH8Gi) is a similar pattern to what you have described. I'm sorry that I don't have the answers you were looking for, but I believe this would be a better course of action for a beginner.

      Delete