Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

8/18/2012

The $3 Espresso Maker


Yes, folks, that's right.  I got an espresso maker for $3.  Not quite as good as the cheap-as-free bread maker, but still pretty good.  But why did I do it?  Don't I love Starbucks and my local coffee shops?  Yes, I do love my local coffeeshops, but my relationship with SB has gotten a bit rocky.  And by "rocky" I mean, "I can do yummy coffee drinks at home for so much cheaper".  It's not you, SB, it's me.  Right back to the $3 espresso maker.  How did I accomplish such a thing?

Step 1: Receive a $25 Macy's birthday giftcard from your department because you work for the best department ever. :-)



Step 2: Research espresso machines online...because I'm neurotic like that.  This one had the best reviews of all the decently-priced stovetop models.

Step 3: Smile pretty at the teller and hope that she gives you a 15% coupon, which she did.



Result: $3 espresso maker.

I was immediately pleased with my purchase when I opened it up and found the instruction manual.


That's the whole thing.  Thank you, manual writers, for assuming that, since I've made it this far in life, I know better than to do crazy things like drink straight from the hot pot.

Next I just had to buy some coffee--which resulted in a very fun conversation with the coffee guy at Whole Foods.  Build relationships with your food sellers, people--and make some java!


Per the instructions, water to the safety valve, coffee in the container on top, screw on the top assembly and heat on low to medium heat.  Since using this, I haven't gone past medium-low just because I want to play it safe.



Here's the part that defies physics...in my mind anyway.  The coffee laughs in gravity's face and travels up the little tube and out into the top chamber.



Then you just measure it out with the appropriate tool.  :-)



Of course you must have proper accompaniments.  I bought this pretty, pretty cup specifically for my at-home coffee yumminess.  Also, did you know that the Special Dark syrup at Target is cheaper than the regular variety?  That's why I bought three bottles.  Don't judge me.



My first drink, a mocha (see below for recipe), got a delectable, free birthday scone from Panera to go with it.

Ho-ly cow, this was delicious.  Way better than SB.  I find that the really sweet drinks from there have a tendency to cause a really sticky mouthfeel.  This does not.  I did have to do some research on how many shots of espresso to use us and syrup and whatnot, so here are two recipes I developed this week.  There are no instructions because you basically just combine and stir.

Medium Mocha
Two shots of espresso
Four pumps of chocolate syrup
Milk, heated, enough to fill a medium (grande) sized cup

Medium Almond Honey Latte
Two shots of espresso
Four squidges of honey
Milk, heated, enough to fill a medium (grande) sized cup
1/2 teaspoon almond extract


3 comments:

  1. I didn't know Hershey made a dark chocolate syrup, thanks for the head's up! Nice score, I just got a Braunn coffee grinder to use for spices from Goodwill today and it appears to have never been used, score.
    I've been saving a ton of money making my own iced coffee this summer, sorry Dunkin' Donuts, but I need to cut somewhere. I did buy some glass straws and I am so happy I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. duh, I meant to add, my new grinder was $2.69 which totally rocks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. SuzieQ, that's awesome! Nice job! Have you noticed that homemade coffee tastes so much better, too?

    ReplyDelete