Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

11/14/2011

Wintry Tree Pillow

Even though the weather here in NoVA is pretty nice. You don’t even need a jacket today. It has not stopped me from dreaming about cooler weather.

It doesn’t hurt that I’m also super excited for Thanksgiving to hurry up and get done, because I can’t wait to put up Christmas!

But seeing as how I still have to wait, and I get a little sad that Christmas comes down. I miss the glitter and glitz.

So I have created a pillow that will solve my dilemma. It might be a little soon to have it out, but I’m not too worried about it.

This pillow is super simple to do.
This pillow actually started out as a curtain, but I didn't need the curtain anymore so I cut it up, because it was a nice weight for  pillows. I ended up getting two 16" pillows  out of it.

I found a tree silhouette that I liked in my Photoshop shapes. I don’t know where I got it. I downloaded it a while ago. I sized this shape to fit my paper, then saved it as a jpeg.

I opened up Silhouette Studio and imported my tree jpeg and then traced it and cut it out. Now, I just cut it out on regular paper, but you could certainly use freezer paper.

After I had my stencil, I took my fabric marker (the kind that disappears after a bit) and traced inside each of my cut sections on my pillow square.

I watered down some matte Tulip fabric paint in chocolate brown.  I thinned it down so that it was a bit like ink. Might have been slightly more watery than that and then with a careful hand and a small paintbrush I filled in each of my tracings. Let the paint dry.

After the tree was dry, I pulled out the Tulip glitter bond.  I took another paintbrush and kind of dabbed/ dragged the paintbrush over the tops of some of the boughs of the tree. Then I dumped glitter all over that. I did this until I was  happy with the effect. I then put all my glitter back into its bottle, and prayed that I didn’t dump it all over myself.

Then I let the glue dry for a couple of hours.

Now I’m enjoying my oh-so-pretty pillow. I love how understated she is. I am also loving that I can leave her out through January.

What do you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. What do I think? I think I might be making one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a stunning cushioMy first ever Christmas Link Party is still on and I would really love it if you would join my humble- sized party, but amazing crowd of crafters. I hope you have the time to pop along and post.

    http://twelvecraftsofchristmas.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-christmas-link-party-no1.html

    Hope to see you there!
    Rosie x
    n cover. I'm making some as gifts and want to hide them away for a bit!

    ReplyDelete