Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

1/21/2012

Pure Genius



Ah, Pinterest, what would we do without it? Well, I wouldn't be neck deep in recipes to try...just chest deep. I've blogged before about the amazing, to-die-for broccolli recipe that I got from there. Well, there's another site that has found me fun new recipes: StumbleUpon. This place is not as fun as Pinterest, but still interesting. One day while I was stumbling, I came up this fabulous lasagna cupcakes recipe. That's right, I said it, lasagna freaking cupcakes. It sounds too good to be true, I know. I've actually had this recipe in my back pocket for a long time, but it was a great coupon for wonton wrappers from Whole Foods that gave me the kick I needed to get this made.


First thing's first, this recipe is completely versatile. I was thinking I would use sausage at first, but I changed my mind and used ground beef instead. Then I decided to add some veggies, so I choose some delicious zucchini. I also used a four cheese blend because that's what I had on hand. If this isn't the most fun throw-together meal, I don't know what is. Don't forget to hit your muffin pan with some non-stick spray.


Don't you just love supermarket shortcuts? I actually almost never use pasta sauce for traditional pasta dishes (I use tinned tomatoes and whatever else I feel like0, but I use it a lot to for random appetizers and, now, lasagna cupcakes. :-) I've also been using wonton wrappers for years because I LOVE me some good filling wrapped up in a bit of pasta or dough. Don't ask me why, I adore wrapped foods. Dumplings, Cornish pasties, you name it, I like it.


Time for assembly. Now, my wontons didn't quite fit the cups, but that's okay because we layered. See my little trick with the glass? That really helps to make sure you get as much real estate our of your muffin cups as possible because it smushes everything neatly. Now, you may not think that two slices of zucchini is much, but the lasagnas are smaller than my fist, so it's actually a pretty big portion of the cupcake.


I apologize for the poor quality of these pics. My camera does not do closeups. It's pretty old, so we can forgive it. Look how fun these babies are, though! Little single serve lasagnas, who couldn't love that?! I promise you, your kids will go crazy for these. Oh! And did I mention that Mike doesn't like zucchini? Except for in these. He's really picky about texture and doesn't like mushy fruits and veggies. The zucchini stayed firm in these cupcakes because they don't have to be cooked for very long. Victory again!

I loved this recipe so much that I made spinach cups with Gorgonzola two days later. Then last night I made a filling of broccoli, cheese, and ham and froze it for later use this week. That coupon is good until the end of March, so I'll be stocking up. Try it, fall in love, change itup, repeat.



1 comment:

  1. I made these for dinner tonight using egg roll wrappers (what I had), mixed the meat and sauce together and dolloped cottage cheese and some shredded cheddar on top. Delish, and my kids loved them! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete