Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

2/27/2010

My perfect craft room

As anyone who does any amount of crafting (of any sort) you know that you accumulate stuff quickly. It's no use to toss  this stuff because it can still be used or utilized in some fashion. So what do you do with this stuff? You stash it, and what do you do when the stash starts taking over your space?  I don't know about you guys, but my stash is starting to drive me crazy. I don't like that my craft room is a mess and dysfunctional....I can't work as well in there because of it. I knew that when we moved in my room wold be one of the last to get tackled and well we're coming to the end of the house  list. :)

So here's what I have now.....

The room is the smallest of the bedrooms upstairs. Roughly its 10' 5" x 10' 3" with 2 windows on the north wall, and a closet on the back wall.  I'm asking a lot of this small space, but I'm confident that I can get it to where it works for me.

I plan on keeping my existing computer desk, printer cart and craft table. Everything else....GONE.

I'd like to replace my sewing table with this: Ana's sawhorse table which would be good because buried somewhere in this room is another sewing machine....actually its an embroidery machine that I have yet to play with. sad. :(

And since I'm getting rid of ALL my storage I'm going to convert the spaces in my closet behind the door opening to shelving. This will allow me to also put my craft table in the closet when I'm not using it. I need space for the scrapbooking stash, sewing patterns, and just miscellaneous sewing stuff.

So I'm planning on building this: the Bedford 3x3 Bookcase also from Ana's site. I actually plan on building 2 of these shelving units and stacking them. It should provide more than enough space to hold basket. Per the specs on Ana's site these ClosetMaid Canvas Drawers should fit just fine. I don't know if I'll stick with the neutral or go with the colors. I may do the neutral so I can embellish it how I like.

I'd like to add some art to the walls, and I have some ideas on that, but that will have to wait for another day. :)  I do like this however, Magnet Board from Beneath My Heart, and the magnet would be awesome, but I also love cork boards....so I might have to come up with something that works for me.

I love how this workspace looks and feels. It's bright, airy and open and I love that.

This is from Better Homes and Gardens. I don't like the window treatment though. The two windows that are in my room are on the front of my house, so  any window treatments I do need to look good from the outside as well. I haven't decided what I want. I like the shabby-chic look, but with the desks and everything I don't know that I'll be able or want to deal with curtains. So then I was thinking of a shade of some sort. I'm sure inspiration will strike...at least I hope it does.

I do like this window option...1) because I have the curtains already and 2) I like the idea of painting a custom design. I love florals but I rarely use them because of the girly factor, but I could do a silhouette of flowers and I think it'd look lovely. The only thing I'm concerned about is the length of  the curtains I have now. They're 84"......I could always shorten them and that would be simple to do, so maybe I'll just direct my energies in that direction. :)




So here's what I'm envisioning. I'd like to do a staggered yellow stripe on the wall and then create a U-shape work area in front of the windows. I want to keep space so I can expand my craft table to make cutting things out easier.

1 comment: