Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

12/30/2011

Hello, Delicious. So Nice to Meet You.


Don't you just love it when you fall in love with a dish. Not the "Hey, I'm really glad I made this. It's really yummy" kind of love. I'm talking about the "Oh my goodness! Where have you been all my life, and why am I not eating you for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?" kind of love. That was a Christmas gift I received this year. The first recipe I can only link to because I basically just stumbled across it on Pinterest.

Hello, my name is Dana, and I am addicted to Pinterest...

Anyhoo, the pin was captioned with : The best broccoli of your life. That's a mighty big claim, but not one that I could ignore. After all, this was Christmas Eve dinner I needed a veggie for. That's a pretty big deal for us. So here it is, the best broccoli of your life.

True story. This was, hands down, the best broccoli I have ever had. The caramelized bits are such a neat texture, and the rest of the broccoli doesn't get all mushy from the roasting. Plus, the garlic adds some nice, low heat, while the Parm is salty and a little nutty. Amazing! I easily filled up half my plate with the great, green stalks every time I had some. I may never serve another veggie again.

But wait, there's more! There was another endorphine-producing part of dinner...

Roasted, Smashed, and Loaded Potatoes
Courtesy Claire Robinson

1 lb small red bliss potatoes
6 Tbsp garlic-infused olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup sliced scallions

Preheat the oven to 450° F. Adjust the oven racks to the top and bottom positions.

Place the potatoes on a sheet pan, pour 3/4 cup water over the potatoes and cover tightly with foil. Bake on the bottom rack until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, drain any remaining water and let rest 8 minutes.

Drizzle 3 tablespoons oil over the potatoes, making sure they are evenly coasted. Space the potatoes evenly on the sheet pan and, using a potato masher, flatten the potatoes to about 1/2 inch thick (about 1/2 the length of your thumb to the first joint). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over the potatoes and roast on the top rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the cheese. Roast on the bottom rack until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the sour cream and scallions. Serve immediately.

BYOC: Think of your favorite baked potato items and just add it on top. Bacon would be delicious, as well as chopped up broccoli with shredded Cheddar cheese. Sometimes for dinner, I just make the potato plain and poach an egg on top. Easy dinner with great leftovers.

Okay, these potatoes are great for so many reasons. One, they're so easy to make. Two, it's really fun to smash them. This is where you can involve the kids! Just be sure to be careful of the hot pan and potatoes. Three, they're so versatile. I set up a potato bar with the scallions, sour cream, bacon bits (homemade is awesome!), and extra parm cheese. Oh, and did I mention these smashed potatoes are so good they're...well, let's just say I wished the potatoes and I had a private room together.

Oh course we had the goose as well, but I've discussed that in the past. It will be featured again next week, though. I just love that I've found two new recipes that are so simple and basic, yet so delicious. I think I've already told my mum that I'll be making these two sides for them when I visit in March. I promise, you and yours will not be disappointed when you whip these up.


No comments:

Post a Comment