Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

12/07/2011

Glitter - the Gift that keeps giving

I wanted to post this project up Monday, but then Monday came and went and Tuesday came and I now have a cold, so there went Tuesday and now here we are on the eve of Wednesday and I'm finally sharing the bestest tree skirt ever.


This pattern is actually an old one that I had. Its the same pattern that is around my living room tree, except I changed it a little bit. :)
{McCall's Pattern 6453)
Now this pattern is not the one I used, but the skirt is similar. My pattern is out of print {I told you it was old}.

So anyways, I altered my pattern so that each of those 8 scalloped sections was ruched. In order to do this, I measured some paper to a length of 54". I had to cut two lengths of paper to 54" in order to be able to fit the whole pattern on it. Then I taped the pieces together and found the center of both ends of the paper.

Using the center mark of the paper, I lined up the pattern at the bottom of the paper and transferred the bottom curve. Then I moved  the pattern to the top of my paper and transferred the curve there. I made to clearly mark where my curves ended so I could match up my lines.


Then I just connected the two curves. This took some creative ruler making, but I made it work. Don't you just love the fedex thing to extend my ruler?

So after that was done, I just cut 8 pieces of tulle from this pattern. Gathered up each long side and basted it to the white muslin that I was using as the backing fabric. Then it was easy peasy to sew each section to another (leaving one open) and then adding some batting and the bottom of the tree skirt. After that was done I added some grosgrain ribbon to hide the seams and the feather trim for some fun. :)



Now isn't that a fun tree skirt? I love how flirty and girly it is. I did not enjoy being eaten alive by glitter. The glitter that is one that tulle must have the best adhesive ever, because I have glitter on my chest that has not come off even after bathing and showering. I think I may need  to scrub harder or something. Maybe I'm just transferring glitter from me to the loofah and back again. Oh well. I will beat this glitter problem. :)



Heather

3 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous and unique! A beautiful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tree skirt! I love how 'girly' it is - and glitter - I can never get enough of it! (OK when my kids start with it - that's enough....)

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Cute! I love all the detail - it turned out so pretty! Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete