Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

12/24/2011

Sweets For My Sweet


Some of you have heard about my sordid love affair with Starbucks. Their coffee and baked goods are so tasty, but, let's face it, it's probably not that good for me. I don't know what goes into their sweet, delicious goodies after all. Plus, Starbucks takes my money. Jerk...I love you. Anyway, Mike knows of this situation, and keeps my affair in check. It used to be easier to convince him to make the detour to Starbucks because they carried molasses cookies. You see where this is going, right? Yeah, they stopped carrying the cookies, and I lost my best card to play to convince him that we should indulge in my habit. But I love my husband, so I've brought his cookies back!

Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies
1 cup plus 3 Tbsp butter
1-1/4 cup sugar, divided
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp ground cloves

In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar. Blend in molasses and egg. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves; add to creamed mixture. Mix until well blended.

Shape dough into 1-1/4-in. balls. Roll balls in remaining sugar. Place on greased baking sheets. Press flat with a fork. Bake at 350° about 10-12 minutes or until set. Yield: about 4 dozen.


I don't know why, but I love creaming sugar and butter together. Maybe it's because it's so decadent.


This is my first time using molasses. It wasn't quite as viscous as I thought it would be. I do keep my house pretty warm, though. It's a good that I ended up liking these cookies, because I have a lot of molasses left.


Ever since the biscuit-cake incident from a few months ago, I've been really worried about over-mixing anything I bake, so I make sure I watch Beatrice, my mixer, closely.


If you're worried about the little balls being too sticky, not to worry. They're really very easy to roll out. Mike was really sweet and helped me out at this point because I burned myself earlier in the day.

Side Note: If you want a really good way to burn yourself, dip your fingertips into hot, boiling, deep-fry oil. I don't think I've ever screeched like that before in my life.


Okay, here's the part I'm going to do differently next time. I really flattened my cookie dough out. Next time I'm going to leave it a little thick so that my cookies aren't so flat.


Don't get me wrong, they turned out great, but I like a thicker cookie.

Crap. I didn't realize these would be dangerous cookies. Dangerously delicious that is. Mike loved them, I loved them, and we want to eat them everyday! Buttery and sweet, these are great for...well...any and everything. Mix, bake, and enjoy! As for Starbucks and I, we're still growing further apart, but it's not over yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment