Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

9/03/2010

For All the Farmers Out There



If you follow this blog regularly, you know that Heather and I come from a long line of farmers. Burnley Farm has been mentioned here on multiple occasions. If you've ever had food straight from the ground, you know the quality is exceptional. We all grew up on home-grown squash, kale, corn, tomatoes, and more, and some of my best memories are of feeding the calves or checking on the cows with Gee-Gee around and walking around Bet's garden with her. Sadly, living in Nashville is not conducive to getting Bet's home-grown veggies anyway. That doesn't mean I can't support the local farmers around here though. Yup, that means farmer's markets!

I adore farmer's markets, but you probably could have already guessed that about me. More than that, I have recently discovered CSA's. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Basically you pre-buy food from a farm. I discovered a really good one at the Richland Park/East Nashville farmer's market from West Wind Farms. West Wind is Certified Organic and offers a really good meat CSA, which Mike and I bought. Therefore, in honor of my farming ancestors and to put my new CSA products to good use, I am posting a family recipe for fried chicken...because you can't go wrong with fried chicken :-).



Fried Chicken
6 to 8 pieces of chicken (breasts, thighs, drumsticks, etc.
3 heaping Tbsp Old Bay seasoning
1 cup flour
1 egg
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
Vegetable oil, enough to fill the pan 3/4" deep"

If chicken is frozen, thaw it. Set up two dredging stations, one with a mixture of the flour and Old Bay, the other with the milk and egg. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, then milk mixture, then flour again. Fry in an electric skillet for 20 minutes on each side (until oil stops popping and blood stops running). Lay on paper-toweled platter and serve.

My dredging station.


Mmmmmm, Certified Organic chicken legs.


Into the flour.


And then into the egg.


And then back into the flour.


Ooooh yeah, we've seen this baby before. Deep-frying action!


Into the hot oil...


And out and flip before another dip.


Chicken!


I don't need to tell you how good my fried chicken it. It's awesomeness on a bone. Mike loves it. I could probably bribe him to do anything with a couple of these babies. Make this chicken, make your family happy. Oh, ad support your local economy. Thanks for reading.


5 comments:

  1. mmmm! Yummy- there is nothing better than fried chicken and a cold beer! I live around lots of farming (mostly wheat) but I went to the farmer's market this year and was shocked to find hardly any vegetables. There was choc. and homemade bread, and some quilting stuff but that was it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to find homemade bread at the farmer's market! I do not have Heather's baking skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also add hot sauce or Frank's Red Hot to the egg mixture for some added kick.

    Also if you fry the chicken in shortening rather than vegetable oil, it will reduce the fried chicken smell that lingers around the kitchen/house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello I am a new follower from BMBF. I would love a follow back at
    http://megankayden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm .... love fried chicken; my mom's was also fabulous!

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete