Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

9/30/2010

My very first Auction!

I have waited all week to put this up, and I am so excited!

Saturday I went to my very first auction with my grandparents! The auction was down in Fluvanna County, so I went down Friday night and spent the night, because my grandfather wanted us to leave the house at 7:30.

We got a slightly later start, but by 8 we were all piled into his 1980 GMC Sierra. That truck is older than me!
Sorry about the blurriness, but the truck, or maybe it was the road, was a bit rough riding. :) 
It didn't take long to get to the farm where the auction was being held. It was an estate auction and the farm had once been a dairy farm with a canning operation, and the family never through anything out. Yay!



So here we are. We have arrived!

The truck is a big 'ole monster, but its been meticulously maintained by my grandfather. 
So after arriving we registered and waited for the fun to begin. The auction started down by the barn, and Bet and I just wandered down there to see what Grandpa was interested in. I ended up bidding on some windows. 23 windows and 1 door to be exact. :) All for $10. I probably could have offered $5, but this was my first bid, and I was a bit of a newbie. :)
Here's my auction number!
There is my pile of windows....There is another pile behind it and the door was off to the right. 

Most of us were waiting until the furniture was auctioned off! It took forever, but in reality they started about 10:15. 
The two beds you see in here were what I wanted. One would be for Dev and the other for the Guest room
Well the auctioneer finally got to the beds, and he asked if we wanted to sell the bedroom suite as a set or individually, and myself and another lady told him no, so he sold all the pieces individually. Yay! I ended up getting the cannonball bed for $30 and the other wrap-around bed for $27. Both beds included mattresses but I will not be keeping the box springs. The mattresses look almost new, with one having no stains whatsoever and the other with only some slight discoloration around the very edges. I plan on steaming and vacuuming the mattresses. I really hate to let them go to waste as one of them is a very nice Stearns and Foster.
Here's our load! Most of that is mine. The patio set is my grandfather's. 
Here's another shot of the take. So excited!
All told I spent $68. Not to bad for 23 windows, 1 door, 2 full size beds and 1 super-ugly lamp! I do not have any other pictures of the haul, because half of it is still down at my grandparents' house and the rest of it is still in the back of my car. I plan on unloading the car today after cleaning out our garage some.

Devlin has already picked out the paint for his biggest-bed-ever, and its a lovely shade of hunter green, almost like British Racing Green, but I won't lie when I tell you that I was really pushing and prodding for a soft gray blue. :)

The other bed has some veneer issues, that I think I'll fix with glue and wood putty, and then a coat of white paint. The ugliest lamp ever is going to get a coat of white and then some nice shade treatment for Dev's room, and the windows.....well there are a lot of possibilities for them! :)

I  hope you guys have a terrific day and enjoy yourselves!
Heather

2 comments:

  1. Someone hit the jackpot!

    P.S. Those 80s models of GMC and Chevy pickups are without a doubt the most dependable trucks ever made. Both my parents had them when I was born and my dad has had a few since then.

    Carol
    antiquetexan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, motherlode of windows!

    ReplyDelete