Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

9/06/2010

Quick and Easy Gift Card Holder

I’m Debbie Smith, Heathers Mom; I have been sewing since I was 12 and have encouraged my daughters to learn this useful skill. 

{Heather here hijacking Mom's post}
Mom didn't include nearly enough background on herself! Mom makes amazing stuff! She made her wedding dress, which is still in near perfect condition. She made my wedding dress, and even through 1 fainting episode because of the sheer volume of it she managed to craft me exactly what I wanted. A 10 ft long skirt from waist band to hem, at the longest point. It was simply amazing! 

Let's see....what else about Mom? I'm sure she's going to love me dishing on her. :) Oh! She's allergic to like EVERYTHING. Loves anything Tuscan. She's also a bit OCD about her knitting. She'll get an entire back of a sweater done, and then take it all apart for reasons unknown to the rest of the family!  She lives exactly 10 miles from me, and if you can't get her on her cell phone, then I get called because she and I are usually hanging out. :)
She and Dad had also discussed having 4 children, but then she went and had twins. She found out that she was having twins 12 hours before my sisters were born. In addition to having thought they were going to have one baby, they also thought it was a boy. Mom and Dad opted not to have a sonogram done, and the docs all told her they figured it was a boy, and only one. Well......yea...they got that way wrong. Two baby girls later, that was all the children Mom was going to have. She convinced herself that the next pregnancy would end in triplets. :)
{Ok, I'm done hijacking this post} :)

I was going through things the other day and found a gift card holder. I though this is an easy project to put together.
Cut out 2 pieces of fabric 3 x 4 ½  (I used felt and gingham). Cut 1 piece 3 x 8 (I used muslin for this)
Lay the two 3 x 4 ½ together and fold the 3 x 8 in half making it 3 x 4. Line up your raw edges. The fold will be at the top. Pin this together. You will be making a small sandwich; all of this will be stitched together.  

I find it easier to baste all of this together before doing a satin stitch around all sides. For the stain stitch I had my machine set for 3.5 wide and .6 for length.


I you wish to hang this on the tree a hanger is easily added if you like.


Just imagine all of the possibilities with this simple and easy design. Buttons, appliqués, flowers, painting! The  possibilities are endless!

Heather

1 comment:

  1. A gift card hold is a must have if you want to keep your cards neat and clean. So gift card holder is important for saved your card.
    Plastic Card Holders.

    ReplyDelete