Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

8/02/2010

Danger Men Working

I know you all are probably tired of hearing about our basement, but I promise this is the last post about it {for a while}. :)

I have to be honest with you guys when I tell you that I didn't think Steve {and Evan} could get a wall of shelves and a bar built in a weekend, but they did. The finishing of the bar took the rest of the week, so here's the timeline. :)


Massive Amount of Pictures Ahead


Here's the TV area after the furniture was moved and the wood moved in. We had Lowe's do all of the cuts for us, and they did not charge us for one.  

There's the first shelf, and look at that....it's level. :) Love ya Babe!

There's the  completed wall. It will hold about 1800 DVDs. Hopefully that's enough. :) 

We first taped out the bar and then had 1-1/2 hour long discussion about obtuse/acute angles. Then Steve framed it out with 2x4's. He wanted it to be able to hold up the house should it ever decide to fall. :)  

Here's the backside of the bar. The open spot on the right is for a small refrigerator. 

Here's Evan testing out the bar height. Steve wanted a surface for our guests and then a separate area for him to work. :) 

So here are the two work surfaces. The tile was just being laid out for placement. Both bar tops have 3/4" plywood and the top is {obviously} in tile and the lower is in 1/4" oak.  

We added some shelves to the unused side of the bar. You can never have enough storage.  


So here's everything trimmed out and the tile laid out and cut. The diamond blade on the dremel is amazing...if not painful. When glass melts and then hits your hand....it kind of hurts. :) Thought you'd guys like to know. 



 So it's like midnight, and we're starting to grout. We're smart. It was our first tile job and it was pretty painless. Except for waiting for the grout to haze over and then wipe clean. that was kind of a  pain. The tile guy at Lowe's suggested we use this new product instead of mastic. Its basically an industrial strength double-sided tape, and its amazing! I have to apologize because I can't remember what it was called though. 

Here's the tile after the grout has dried. Not to shabby for first-timers. 



So the painting was easy and the staining was easy. We used leftover paint from the master bedroom revamp. Our bar is now Epic. ;-) We also applied two coats of Polyshades to the wood. I picked Mission Oak, which is a new color and I am in love with it. We were good to go. Until Steve {on the morning of the party} spilled almost an entire can of mineral spirits all over the bar, tile and carpet. Major Eff. So after my using my good towels {grumble} to clean it all up, he quick takes a clean rag {not one of my good towels} and wipes on another quick, light coat of polyshades. It was luckily dry by the time the party started at 9 that night. 


So here are the completed pictures {which you've seen}. I really should get some better ones.... :) 

I'm so proud of what the guys did. They put in a lot of work over that weekend and it turned out so incredibly amazing that I have decided some of my list with Steve...I'm sure he'll be thrilled when I tell him that. :) 

I hope you guys enjoyed and have a wonderful Monday! 
Heather

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is some awesome workmanship! Thanks for linking up to my linky party! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete