Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

8/13/2010

The Recipes Continueth


Happy Friday, everyone! I really, really love that phrase. Anyhoo, before I get to the food, I have an announcement. We are having a 5k run here in Nashville in October for breast cancer research, awareness, and fund raising. A team has formed at work, and I am on it. Our goal is to raise $1250 for the event. Now, here's my personal news: I have a goal to complete the race in 30 minutes! Ambitious, I know, especially since I have never been much of a runner. Nevertheless, I am going to go for it. Wish me luck! Now, back to your usual foodie programming...

This week had several recipes left over from last week. Namely, a fruity smoothie and a really yummy new casserole. Let's start with breakfast. I love mangoes and I don't just say that because they seem to have become really popular this summer. I don't know what it is, as I don't generally prefer tropical fruits, but mangoes are just really delicious to me. They were also buy one, get one free at Publix last week, so I bought three. They all became smoothies. What's my recipe? Well, I kinda made it up as I went.


Step 1. Separate the mango meat from the skin and seed? What's the best way to do this? I haven't a clue. A mango seed hangs onto the flesh for dear life, but the skin is pretty easy to get off with a good-quality peeler. I must confess that I eventually looked up mango disassembly on YouTube (you can find anything on there) and opted for the cut-the-fruit-away-with-a-knife method, which, sadly, does waste a bit of the fruit. Put the mango meat into a blender carafe.

Step 2: Add a healthy shot of honey for some extra sweetness.

Step 3: Dump in a single serving of vanilla yogurt. I just emptied a Yoplait cup into the carafe.

Mmmmmm, mangoey...

Step 4: Add some milk. Yeah, I just poured what was left in the carton in.

Not a clue how much I added here. Maybe two cups...ish?

Step 5: Let 'er rip! And rip/blend/crush/puree/whatever until smooth. Enjoy with a straw, otherwise this thick, delicious nectar will fall from the glass onto your face.

So my mango smoothie was a lovely morning treat, which is very healthy and surprisingly filling. Later on that night, there was a new casserole to be made. Now, popular opinion holds that, as long as I cite the recipe, I can put it in here. Let's hope they're right. This little gem comes from a $7 cookbook I bought from Borders while I worked there just after Mike and I were married. It's called "Everyone's First Cookbook", and the recipe is for...

Beef and Noodle Casserole
1 1/2 cups cooked, cubed beef
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
1 onion, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
1 8 oz package egg noodles, cooked

Preheat oven to 350. You can use a leftover roast cut into pieces or buy stew beef. I chose the latter option. In a medium bowl, beat eggs slightly and stir in sour cream. Add everything but the noodles into the bowl and stir to combine. Butter or otherwise grease a 2 qt casserole dish and pour cooked noodles over bottom. Then add meat and sauce mixture and stir gently to combine. Bake 15 to 30 minutes till heated throughout.

*The recipe also mentions that you can substitute the beef with chicken or ham.



This was a really good recipe and reminded me a good bit of Stroganoff. I cooked mine a little long (I went the whole 30 minutes), so the sauce got crumbly. I am also thinking you could do this with ground beef for the same effect, but I'll do that next time. You can also dress it up like we did with a nice bottle of wine. We chose Barrister's Red Muscadine from our local Beachaven Winery, which complimented the dish very well. To round out the meal, you'll need a veggie, but that's easy.

That's all for now, folks. Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment