Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

8/31/2010

You have to love....

The dollar store! I know I do. There are several in an around the area, and its amazing that each one is just a little different from the other.


Restoration Hardware has these:

But at $25 - $79 for them.....um, yea....thats not going to happen in this  house.

So  while out gallivanting one day with my mom, we stopped at the Dollar Store in town.

And from what I picked up there, this was born!



Materials


6 small hurricanes
2 glass candlesticks
4 small glass candlesticks (they came in packages of two)
2 large hurricanes
{optional stuff}
Moss
1/4" oak plywood (we had some leftover from the bar)
Tray (this was on clearance at Pottery Barn for $13!)

What to do


First I soaked all of the glassware. I don't know why they put stickers on this stuff that are not easily pulled off. *sigh*

Then it was time to line it all up, with the Gorilla Glue Epoxy and the Gorilla Tape. I do love me some assembly lines. Unfortunately, this project used up all the rest of my epoxy. :-( I guess I'll just have to go shopping to get some more. :-)

Now just mix up that epoxy, per the directions, and then margarita style, rim each candlestick in the epoxy and then set them on the small hurricanes. Rip a length of of the tape off and use it as a clamp to hold the stick down on the hurricane. We must have lots of pictures for this step......I don't know why.




After the elapsed time, I think 90 minutes, everything is good to go. Pull off the tape and then start using them in your decor!

I had bought a tray from Pottery Barn a few weeks ago on clearance. Its a very lovely open wire work tray, but the glassware would not have set on the bottom of it evenly, so I had the hubs rip down a piece of his leftover oak plywood to fit inside the tray. Then I was good to go to arrange the glassware and place the moss around, I think for Halloween I may get a bunch of small gourds, but you could also do pebbles or anything else you think up!



As you can see I have already used it. I got the candles from the Dollar Store as well. I love the possibilities with this!

I hope you all have a great day and enjoy yourselves!
Heather


Linking up to:



DIY Club ”DIY




Yes....she's back :)





12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful project. It's really beautiful, and I bet it's breath-taking at night. Plus -- I love the price!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing! i love the dollar store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing! i love the dollar store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That definitely does NOT look like a dollar store project! Well done! Maybe tiny plastic spiders and bright candy for Hallowe'en? Mmm, candy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is drool-worthy, for sure. I am copying this photo into my dream house file, because i would LOVE to have this on my piano!

    Great job!!!

    Carol
    antiquetexan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out better than the expensive version. I so wish I had a dollar store near me, all day people in the blog world have been talking about how Starbucks has the pumpkin spice latte back, and now dollar stores. (GRR!!) I might need to contemplate moving just for coffee and dollar stores. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just explaining to my sister how to do this! Great tutorial. Glad to be your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Good job. I am always looking for inexpensive decorating projects. Thanks for all the pictures along the way. You explained it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how your hurricane came out.
    The candlesticks you used are gorgeous.

    I hope you have a fun weekend.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so gorgeous and thrifty...love it!

    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  11. Because you used Gorilla Glue, you can also enter our Gorilla Glue contest. Just click on Special Event Parties.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! Great job! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete