Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

8/19/2010

Rules of the House

Did you know that some people consider me too strict with my boys? This; however, is not a shock to me. I know I'm strict. I'm as strict as my parents were with me. As my grandmother told me; when I started to doubt my approach, I want to be able to enjoy my children. She's right, of course, I do want to enjoy my children. I want to be able to take them out to a nice restaurant, and be able to enjoy a nice meal. Its even nicer when the boys are complimented on their behavior. That would be a reflection on our influence, as my mother reminded me today. So when all of this doubt surfaced, and my family rallied behind me to reassure me that I was not in the wrong or doing anything wrong, I decided that I wanted to spell out what I expect all of the members of my family and guests to our home to follow.

Not an unreasonable request. So after seeing several people take subway art to spell out the rules of their home, I decided to do the same. Most of our rules are not unlike others I've seen, but I didn't want my rules to be 'no this' and 'no that' so I added some fun things like 'have fun' and 'try new things'.
So here's what I came up with...oh wait...you want a closer look? Well I guess you'll just have to scroll down :) 

I prepped the canvas with some spackle first. I wanted some texture to it. 


There's my boy eating some goldfish and telling me that I'm going a good job. :) He's such a sweetheart!
Then I took some sage green acrylic paint and sloppily put it on the canvas. After that, I raided my oops paint samples and selected two colors and added them with a paper towel. Making sure to be random about my strokes. I let all of that dry. 






I then worked up a stencil template in photoshop and printed it out in Paint so I could tape it together. It took 9 sheets of paper for the canvas (18 x 24). I then took about 2 days to cut out all of the letters....my finger still hurts. :( 

After the stencil was finally cut out, I took some Antique White paint and stippled it onto the canvas, just holding down the paper stencil where I was working on. It was quite messy, but the effect was totally worth it. Then after a quick trip to the grocery store for eggs, milk, and snacks, I followed up with some mocha glaze; again applied with a paper towel. I do love those paper towels. :) 

I'm loving my new art work, and so very happy that what we want followed in our home is very clearly written out. Its not like any of our usual play date friends had a problem with our rules to begin with, but at least  now its visible for all to see, and my pantry door is also quite not as white. :) 


I hope you  guys have a great day and enjoy yourselves!
Heather

15 comments:

  1. love how that turned out!
    and good for you for being strict-i dont want my kids to end up in jail either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i thought i had a lot of rules in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out really nicely. We encourage running, jumping & bouncing, but aside from that last line, our house could use a piece of useful art like that, too...I may be doing some copy catting later on (=

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its actually not a lot of rules.....some of them are orders...like have fun and try new things, but the running and jumping only apply to inside the house....outside its fine. One of my girlfriend's sons had to have 7 staples put into his head because he was running {in the house} and slipped; cracked his head on the floor and ended up in the ER. Going to the ER is not generally on my list of things to do. :) I should have also included everything in moderation, because we do let the boys wrestle and have some horseplay....but cest la vie....hindsight and all that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks beautiful. I just finished mine and posted pics last week. The background paint looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just as a grammatical note, your semicolon use got a little out of control. I really like the piece, though. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know...I did. I googled semicolon use and went nuts. I was hoping you'd notice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out really good! Can I employ your services to make me one too! I am considered the strict parent on the block to. I don't mind though - manners me more to me than what others think of me.

    I'm following from New Friend Friday. Come visit me if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this:) I agree that rules are necessary. I have been out with too many friends with their children on top of the restaurant table or under the table and they just laugh and say "oh boys will be boys"...what? No, I'm sorry...its called no manners:) Our little one cant jump or run inside either...she has already ran into wall corners and fallen off the couch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this idea!! I don't have any children, but I do like the idea of having the rules posted ALL the time. Great way to combine the subway art with the rules. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great! I really want to create subway art, but don't want to cut out the stencils. Laziness is holding me back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how that turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all. I really love the effect of everything and now Dev is asking where on the board certain rules are.....I have had to be creative about some of them because when I tell him to eat....which is not on the board he wants to know where it is on there. *sigh* If I were to put everything that I ask of him on the board I'd have a very long board indeed.

    As for the stencil....buying stencils might have been easier, my fingers would have felt much better, but the size variants would not have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! This is really great! Following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome job! I love the subway art around, and I love the grungy look of yours!

    Thanks for linking up at Craftastical!

    ReplyDelete