Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

8/04/2010

Would anyone like some Paella?

I love me some seafood. Who doesn't? So I've been hankering for some Paella for a while now. My mom has a recipe that is delicious, but I couldn't get her to make it for me. So I went to the next best source, my Taste of Home cookbook! Lucky for me there is a Paella recipe in there under Poultry. Wait?! Poultry?! I do not remember my mom's recipe having chicken in it, she says there was, but I do not recall this. So I move forward. I had most of the ingredients that I needed and only needed to run the store for the seafood and a pepper. I decided to 'man' up the Paella recipe though. So on to the show!

Slightly Modified, but Super Awesome Paella

yield: 10 - 12 servings
Grocery Stuff:
4 cups chicken broth
2-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
1 cup chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1 large green pepper, julienned
3 green onions, sliced
1 tsp minced fresh parsley
1 tsp dried  thyme
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 cups frozen peas
1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tbs lemon juice
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced

My additions/changes:
Instead of white rice, I used one-minute brown rice
Julienned a red pepper instead of a green one
Substituted 1/2 tsp of dried parsley for the fresh
Used 1 pound of shrimp in lieu of the 1/2 pound
Also included 12 oz of frozen sea scallops

What you'll do:
In a saucepan, combine the broth, rice, onion, half of the garlic, salt turmeric, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté the green {red} pepper, {green} onions, parsley, thyme, hot pepper sauce and remaining garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook until green {red} pepper is crisp-tender. Add tomatoes and peas; heat through.


Discard the bay leaf; add rice mixture to vegetable mixture  and keep warm. In a nonstick skillet, cook and stir shrimp in lemon juice for two minutes.


Add chicken; cook until chicken is no longer pink and shrimp has turned pink, about 3-5 minutes. Add to the rice mixture. If you have scallops, cook them in the pan drippings after removing the chicken and shrimp. Combine with the rice mixture.


This is a wonderful one dish meal and the leftovers have fed us for several meals. Even Dev ate it, although he picked out all the red. ;-) Steve and Evan also cooked up some mussels to go along side the deliciousness. I even tried mussels, and even though they were not as bad as I remember them being I am still perfectly ok with not liking them. :)


All in all it was a wonderful meal that did not take that long to actually prepare. The vegetable cutting, as usual, took the longest. Oh and in trying to come up with how to explain what Paella was to a friend, the best we could come up with was "Spanish gumbo."




I hope you guys have a wonderful day and enjoy yourselves!
Heather

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so yummy! I am with you on the mussels, I don't care for them! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete