Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

8/26/2010

My Monte Cristos

There used to be a restaurant in Warrenton that had fabulous Monte Cristos. Unfortunately, they are no longer around, and I despaired of ever having their Monte Cristos again. Then a light bulb went off and I decided to look through my many cook books and create my own Monte Cristos.


Thus came to life

My Monte Cristos


Grocery Stuff:
Thick Sliced Bread (I usually bake my own either from scratch or from frozen dough)
1 apple
1/2 pound deli sliced ham
4 slices of swiss cheese
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbs milk
salt and pepper, to taste
dash of nutmeg
pat of butter (or two depending on your preference)
raspberry jam


How to put it together:
Heat up a pan that is large enough to cook all 4 sandwiches at once. I use an electric skillet set to 300. Core and slice your apple into apple O's (this is what Dev calls them). Next assemble your sandwiches with a few slices of ham, a piece of cheese and the apple slice.


Mix eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt & pepper together, in a sandwich dipping friendly container. Now set up an assembly line. Have your egg mixture right in front of your pan. Melt the butter in the frying pan, and quickly spread around.

Dip your first sandwich in the egg mixture, coat the other side then immediately place the sandwich into the pan. Repeat with the other 3 sandwiches. Cook for about 4 minutes, then flip. This side will cook much faster, 1-2 minutes.  Remove the sandwiches to plates.



Cut each sandwich in half or into quarters, serve with the raspberry jam and enjoy!



I love this recipe, and it is one of my favs! Granted, its not the healthiest but the apple helps! BTW, the apple O's also make great snacks for kids. I have put apple butter and sunflower seeds on them as well and they are delish!

Enjoy and have a great day!
Heather

3 comments:

  1. Oh man that looks so delicious!! I'm a new follower from NFF. Love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMmmm That looks good!

    I am a new follower from the blog hop, hope you can stop by and visit my blog! I have some great giveaways going on right now.

    http://shining2save.com

    Have a great day!

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband LOVES MOnte Cristos... you've reminded me that I should try to make them sometime! ~Prairie Story ...care of Alison Zulyniak

    ReplyDelete