Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

3/29/2010

Some Dollar Store Crafty-ness!

I love cheap crafts. They make me happy because they usually look so much more expensive than they actually are. I was so excited when I saw two pillar holders and two taper candle sticks. I figured I could make a couple of altered hurricanes for Steve's lounge, and I knew he'd like them because they were so darn cheap. He'd also like them because they'd display his cigar bands in a better fashion than what he's done.  I'm also very pleased that the epoxy dries clear, as you'll see later on you can't tell that it's there.

Supplies:
  • 2 glass pillar holders
  • 2 glass taper candlesticks
  • gorilla glue epoxy
  • gorilla glue tape


What I did:

I washed the pillar holders and the candlesticks and thoroughly dried them. I place the pillar holders upside down so that the bottom was up. Sorry for the messy work area pictures. I was working on our kitchen island while my husband decided whether or not he wanted to make sugar cookies. The cookies did not get made, but they are still laying there on the island. *sigh*

Then I mixed my gorilla glue epoxy on a paper plate.

I then dipped the end of the candlestick into the epoxy, like you would rim a margarita glass with salt. I then centered the candlestick down on the bottom of the pillar holder.

I anchored the piece together with gorilla tape while the epoxy dried.




I'm going to fill these beauties with 1 1/2" balls that will be decoupaged with some of Steve's cigar bands. I think that will be a nice touch to his man room. :) Even better this project cost $4....can't get better than that!

Till next time...enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment