Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

7/07/2010

Chilled Strawberry Soup

So there's a heatwave all along the east coast, in case you hadn't heard. Case in point - Dana and I were looking for an impossible battery and had parked, in the shade, at Best Buy. We weren't gone but maybe 5 minutes and when we came back the temp outside {per the dash} said 114. That's just disgusting. So if any of you gals are in the same boat then this recipe will be a welcome addition to the dinner or breakfast table.

Some history into my obsession with strawberry soup. When I was 10 years old, we went on our first cruise. It was on the Big Red Boat {now the Disney Cruise Line} and the Make a Wish Foundation sent us. It was am.az.ing. One of my most favorite moments was one morning during breakfast when we were brought Chilled Strawberry Soup. Ever since that morning, I have LOVED strawberry soup. So here's the show and the recipe. :)


Chilled Strawberry Soup


active time: 25 minutes /total time: 25 minutes + chilling time /serves: 6 people
ingredients:
1 cup apple juice
1 cup water, divided
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups fresh strawberries
2 cups (16 ounces) strawberry yogurt
2 drops red food coloring, optional
Additional strawberry halves, optional

directions:
In a small saucepan, combine the apple juice, 3/4 cup water, sugar, cinnamon and cloves; bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat; cool.


Place strawberries and remaining water in a blender; cover and process until smooth.


Pour into a large bowl. Add apple juice mixture, yogurt and food coloring if desired. Chill. Garnish with additional strawberries if desired.

This is a super easy and delicious recipe and I hope that you guys enjoy this recipe as much as we do. Have a wonderful day and keep cool!
Heather

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I'll have to give it a try!
    Smiles!

    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing. Can't wait to try it. What brand Yogurt did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used generic yogurt, but not fruit on the bottom. I don't like fruit on the bottom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! This sounds so good! That sucks that it is so hot where you live! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this before! It sounds awesome, I'll so have to try it now that strawberries are abundant and cheap! Thanks! Found you at The Girl Creative and The Trendy Treehouse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few years ago I made a strawberry type soup and poured it over angel food cake and called it Strawberry Soup Cake. It annoys my husband more than anything else in the whole world.

    It's awesome.

    I'm a new follower from New Friend Friday!

    Untypically Jia: My Inner Child Needs Another Pepsi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi You’ve got a great blog and I think you’d be interested in mine. I’d love it if you’d link up to my Tot Tuesdays party- a linky party dedicated to all things toddler: http://www.mydeliciousambiguity.com/ Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete