Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

7/12/2010

Floor Candlesticks - My Take

So there have been a couple of posts about floor candlesticks in recent blogland history, and I'm throwing my hat in too. I have been wanting to put something next to the fireplace, but someone has decided that he's going to start cruising, so maybe having some lightweight candlesticks near the fireplace is not a good idea....hang one..I've got to go, because he just knocked over a table....again.

Ok I'm back. No harm done. Harrison just knocked over a table that had all of Dev's craft stuff on it, but nothing landed on Harrison. He just scared himself. So back to what I was saying. Yea having a pair of lightweight candlesticks in the same room the Harrison does most of his cruising around is not a good idea.
So on to the show!


What I used:


2-27" tall country legs
2 - 6" round discs
4-4" round discs
Gorilla Glue Epoxy
Spray Paint

What I did:


Cut one of the wood legs down, I think I took 4" off, and remove any bolts/staples from them. Sand all the wooden parts smooth. I got Dana to do it for me because I had to feed the baby. :)

Find the center of your discs and then trace circles around them, so that  when you glue it's much easier. Here's the order for my candlesticks: 6" disc, 4" disc, leg (with the bottom of the leg towards the ceiling), 4" disc upside down. I placed the 4" disc upside down on the top for greater candle holding area. :) I had originally thought about using the square discs, but yea, that didn't  look right. Make sure to trace your circles on the 'top' of 2 of the 4" discs so that the leg placement is easier.....we didn't do that. Oops.

Mix up the epoxy according to the directions then apply a small dab to the center of the 6" disc and place your 4" disc on top and press down, making sure to stay within the circle you made earlier. Then add some more epoxy to the top center of the 4" disc and add the leg, keeping inside the lines. Press down. Add some more epoxy to the top of the leg and center the upside down  4" disc onto it. Press again. Repeat for the other candlestick. Add weights (canned vegetables work wonderfully, especially green beans and beets) to the tops of the candlesticks and do not disturb for a while. We spent our drying time shopping, Its a very good time killer. :)

Paint to your liking. I thought I was painting mine aluminum, but because I have absolutely no orginization going on in the garage...I accidentally painted them chrome....not quite what I was going for....so then I got some satin nickel spray paint, and just sporadically spritzed them with that. So now they have some bright shiny spots and some matte spots. I like the effect...they look older...almost like burnished nickel.

 

 I hope you guys liked this little adventure....tomorrow maybe I'll have another painting story for you, because this week is apparently the week for painted projects on my 8-mile long list. :)

Have a wonderful day and enjoy!
Heather

7 comments:

  1. They look fabulous!! Love the color! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FABULOUS! These candlesticks are great...I really need a pair myself...time to get DIYing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out WONDERFUL! You did a great job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the effect you accidentally made too! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great project. I love the tall candlesticks.

    Thanks for linking up to the DIT Club. Have a great weekend and KEEP CRAFTING.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the lovely comments! They're a lot of fun, and luckily we've not had to save them from the baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great project, Heather! Sometimes some of the best results come about accidentally. Hope you find a good place for those away from your little guy!

    Create with Confidence™
    Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

    ReplyDelete