Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

7/03/2010

Fabric Crayons - My Thoughts

So a while back I told you gals that I had bought some fabric crayons and the packaging said they were transferable. Score....if it works. I did have my doubts, but how awesome would it be to color something on white paper and then just iron it on to the fabric. That would be terrific. So I went off to conduct an experiment.

I designed an image in Photoshop that I wanted to transfer. I made sure to mirror it so that it would transfer correctly. Then proceeded to color in everything. Very carefully! It was kind of hard to stay inside the lines sometimes. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of this part, but it was a big 'ole fat fail. The crayons did not transfer as I imagined they would. So I went to try again.


I reprinted the image, making sure to mirror it, then just outlined the image with my crayons and ironed it per the package directions. I made sure to print the image in Paint so that I could just tape the pages together.



 As you can see, unless you get your ironing perfect the image is going to be faded and may shift in spots. I found it easier to tape my image to the fabric. This helps with the shifting, a little.

After that, I took a laundry sharpie and outlined then colored what was transferred. I added some other colors, via fabric paint marker and then let all of it dry.



So while it did not produce the results I had originally hoped for, at least the transferable crayon is  useful tool.

I hope you guys enjoyed these thoughts and find a creative use for fabric crayons. Have a wonderful Saturday!
Heather

1 comment:

  1. I have actually used the fabric spray paint and I was not impressed with the results and whether that was because of my own inadequacy at being able to spray paint anything other than solid colors or the fact that the spray nozzle seemed to be having issues with the silver color...I don't know, but I have not used it since.

    I may have to try it again just for thoroughness sake though. :) It would be cool do to a reversed typography pillow.

    ReplyDelete