Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

7/13/2010

Sprucing Up and Making Room

So I have been wanting dreaming of a little spot on my counter just for coffee and it accurtriments. My first step was to move the coffee maker closer to the sink. That was easy. The next step in the process has not been so easy. I want a tray to hold the sugar and spoon, the coffee grinds, and my coffee mugs. I have not found the perfect tray yet, and my coffee mugs are slowly dying. Why do handles fall off coffee mugs anyway?

However, given these disappointments I am not discouraged! One of the other reasons I want this coffee station is because the cabinet that houses the coffee now, is cluttered. It also holds the meds, some baby food stuff, other hot drinks, and some miscellaneous stuff on the very top shelf. It's crowded, but the other day I had an epiphany! I could paint the coffee container and make it pretty so that I don't mind displaying it out on the counter! So without further ado.....On to the show!

So this is pretty simple and it didn't take any time at all to do.

First I emptied the coffee grinds into a tupperware thingamajig and went outside to do a quick layer of black spray paint. After I got the paint on....I realized that the coffee can had a label. Eff. So I took off the label, then repainted the can black. I didn't do a great job, because I didn't want this to be perfect.


After  the  black was dry, I added some letters to  form a mask. I actually used Tim Holtz's Alphabet Mask, which I got on clearance at Michael's a few months ago. The letters were already sticky so I just eyeballed their placement. Then it was back outside for a coat of copper.


After the copper was dry I removed the letters and then just added the coffee back in. Viola! I may find a coffee container in the future, but for right  now....my little masterpiece will do just fine. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to sit down and enjoy some coffee. ;)



Have a wonderful day and enjoy!
Heather

5 comments:

  1. Cute coffee can!! All my coffee comes in bags...will have to look for a can next time!
    smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun redo! Turned out fabulous!

    ~Alison
    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Thank you! Our can sits out on the counter, too, and I hate it. Now, not only will I not have to hate it anymore - I can love it! :D Very cool idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous idea!! I love re purposing items like the coffee can!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all, and I'm happy to say that the paint seems to be withstanding the daily use this coffee can sees. :)

    ReplyDelete