Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

3/17/2012

Gainesville Middle School 5K

Today started very early. 6:30 early.

It was for a good reason though. My sister and I ran our first 5k together. It was a pretty amazing time. 
Before the race.
The race  was very well run and the course was nice and easy. 

Dana ran the 5k in 35:12 for a pace of 11:21, and I ran 40:53 for a pace of 13:11

I could  not be happier about my time, but also during the last 200 meters or so of the race I  had my own personal cheerleader. 

Dana waited for me and when she saw that I was coming up; she crossed the field and ran with me, supporting and cheering me all the way to the finish; which thankfully was close, but I do remember  telling her that I felt like it was forever away. She quickly responded that it wasn't and I could keep going. :) 

We both had the same game plan for those last 200 meters though, once on the track - start running again. 

It was nice during the course to pass her a couple of times. We'd wave or  similarly acknowledge each other and then keep on going. 

For Dana's age group (19-29) she was the 16th out of 18 women, and I was number 30 out of 38 women for the 30-39 age group. Not to shabby. The 1st overall  woman finisher was in my age group and the 2nd one was in Dana's age group. 

There were 329 racers total, and Dana was 244 overall and I was 290 overall. Not to shabby. 

I did decide while I was running that I either need to update my training schedule, and maybe take a step back and then build back up to hopefully increase my times. I think I'm going to investigate that a bit. 

I am happy to report, that both Dana and I were having hip soreness when the race was over, but my inner thighs were also taking the brunt of some of the soreness. Still I feel good, and I'm very pleased with my performance. 

Now if I could only figure out what the heck happened with my Nike+ thing, because it says I didn't even run 2.5 miles and it won't let me calibrate it. Stupid electronics. 
After the race. We're rosy!
Oh well. I'm going to rest tomorrow and Monday I'll be back at the gym. 

1 comment:

  1. Come do the Lake Ridge Runners May Day 5k!! It's be lots of fun and I think they are doing raffles at the end :)

    ReplyDelete