Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

3/27/2012

Working on my vanity

So if you guys follow the Straight Stitches Facebook page the you'll know that I started working on a vanity to replace the one that had been in our master bedroom. I gave the desk that I had been using as a vanity to Devlin so that he could have a computer desk in his room.

The vanity that I'm working on was in my grandparents' shed and was somewhat exposed to the elements. Luckily, the piece was veneered and it seems that the only real damage was to the veneer.

So out comes a cruddy iron ($6.50 at Walmart, baby!) and lots of water for the steamy action that commenced.

Removing the veneer with the iron was a fairly painless process, but it also didn't hurt that it was already humid outside because of the thunderstorms that were passing through the area.

I had the iron set to wool or linen with steam and it probably only required about 60 seconds of steam on a section to loosen the glue. Then came my trusty putty knife. I actually ended up leaving the iron on a section while working on a different section and then moving the iron to yet another section and the working on the section that the iron had just been resting on. I don't know of that's the correct way but it's the way that I did it and it worked for me.

So after removing all of the veneer, I stopped. I'm still stopped. Why? Because I don't know how to finish off this thing. I have pinned a few ideas which I'll share later, but the main problem is that idk renown if the top is going to be stainable. I don't even know that I want to stain it. I may just paint it and then distress it. Or I could tile it, but the problem with that is the cost associated with that. I would love to finish it all in mirrors but unless I win the lottery tonight there's no way I can justify that expense. So the poor thing sits.

Tomorrow I should at least take a sanding block to her to see exactly what I'm working with. Oh, I also found some errant notes from either my mom's or aunt's time in school. Apparently page 366 was homework. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment