Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

4/05/2010

Decorating some more spheres!

It sounds so funny when you say you're crafting some decorative balls....my husband snickers every time I say it, so now I try to remember to say spheres. Not nearly as funny, but it  keeps me from rolling my eyes all the time. :)

My husband collects the bands off the cigars that he smokes. He has A LOT of cigar bands. He keeps these bands everywhere, and they are hidden. They're not even displayed nicely. Its seems a shame....especially since he's so proud of his collection, so we've been batting around some ideas to display some of the more 'pretty' bands.

A bit ago, I made some dollar store hurricanes and I knew they'd be perfect for his lounge. All they needed was some filler. I decided that 2" styrofoam balls would be perfect because of the size of some of the bands. I had originally intended on a smaller diameter but some of these cigar bands are huge! While I was shopping for the spheres; I found these smooth stryofoam balls....Hmm...I'll try them. The problem I had before with my other decorative sphere project was that the styrofoam was too porous to have any bite for the glue, hence the need for the spackle. So I'll bite on this smooth foam.


So here's what I used:
  • 2" smooth foam styrofoam balls
  • Modge Podge
  • Foam Brush
  • A whole bunch of cigar bands




The Assembly

Paint the Modge Podge onto the back of the bands then lay over the styrofoam. Paint more Modge Podge over the top of the band. For the first band let the glue dry a bit before smoothing the band down. 

Continue until you are happy with the coverage of the ball.

Let dry then add them to the hurricane!



I'm linking up to: http://www.theshabbychiccottage.net/2010/04/transformation-thursday-staining-tips.html?

giveaways
I hope you all enjoyed this simple and easy project. Enjoy your evening!

2 comments:

  1. Love the rich, silky look of the cigar bands. Wish I had some now! Good idea and it came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those turned out so cool-makes me wish i smoked!

    ReplyDelete