Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

4/25/2010

Sunday Dinner in under an Hour!

You're going to have to forgive me, because I've tried starting this post three times now and haven't gotten very far. I woke up with an awful sinus headache and thinking is almost beyond my capabilities this morning, but I want to share with you what I made for dinner last night, because it is definitely a keeper and would be lovely for Sunday dinner. We are having leftovers tonight, but that's ok because we'll still be eating as a family. :) So on to the show! 
Eagerly awaiting the meal!




Beer-Braised Chicken
active: 25 min / total: 40 min / serves: 4 
**We had 4 adults and 2 small children and still had leftovers
1/4      pound slab or thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch-pieces
8         skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 2-1/2 pounds)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging **I used about a cup
1         tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1         12-ounce bottle beer (preferably brown ale) **I used Smithwick's Irish Ale
1         cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
1/2      pound small red-skinned new potatoes, halved **I used russet potatoes and cut them to about the size of halved new potatoes
2         tablespoons whole-grain mustard **I don't know what whole-grain mustard is so I used a honey-dijon that looked grainy and had on hand
2         tablespoons packed dark brown sugar **I used light brown sugar
4         sprigs fresh thyme **I ended up using about 6, but two of them were small
3         tablespoons chopped fresh parsley **I used 3 teaspoons dried parsley
  1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.  Add the bacon and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Removed with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. **I used my dutch oven, but when I make this recipe again I will use my chicken fryer pan, because I think the meat will cook a little faster because of the increased cooking area. 
  2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour, shaking off the excess. Add the olive oil to the drippings in the pot. Add the chicken in batches and cook over medium-high heat until golden on the bottom, 6 to 7 minutes, then flip and sear the other side, about 1 minute. 
  3. Add the beer, onions, potatoes, mustard, sugar, thyme and 1 cup water to the pot and stir, making sure the chicken is fully submerged. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Discard the thyme and stir in the bacon and parsley. **I ended up having to add about 3-1/2 cups of water, which is why I think my dutch oven, was not the pot of choice, because the chicken and vegetables ended up filling the pot half way up. I also had it going at a slow boil for 15 minutes to try and eliminate some of the liquid.


Roasted Asparagus
active: 5 minutes / total: 15 minutes / serves: 4 to 6


2      pounds asparagus, with the ends cut or snapped off
Olive Oil for drizzling **I just sprayed them with cooking spray
Kosher salt, and pepper
  1. Turn your broiler on low, and place your rack at the highest position possible. Line your baking sheet with foil, making sure to turn up the edges so that you don't have to clean up pan later. 
  2. Lay the asparagus out on your baking sheet so that its all in one layer. **I had to arrange my asparagus going a couple of different directions and even then I had some slight layering. Drizzle the olive oil over the shoots. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  3. Broil for 10 minutes then serve!


I also made rice for this dish to help absorb the liquid from the chicken, but like I said I don't think I would've had to add as much water if I had used a different pan. I will know for next time, but the dish was still excellent. I hope you guys enjoy these recipes! 

1 comment: