Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

4/18/2010

The Lamp from Hades!

I must admit that I was quite uneducated about a week ago. Imagine that.....a week ago I was not as smart as I am today. That's true for most weeks. We do tend to learn something new almost every day even if we don't realize it. So do you want to know what I learned? I learned that ORB is not a brand of paint, but rather a color. I kept seeing blog posts about ORB paint, and the pictures were wonderful. I had to get my hands on some, but where to find it? So then I'm reading one of the blogs that I follow and the author of the blog very kindly informs blogland (really for those not in the know) that ORB is Oil Rubbed Bronze. OH! Duh....wow! Still I need some, because I adore love get positively giddy over ORB. I have started switching out the builder stuff (faucet and dinette light) to things with ORB. I have plans for my bathroom the rest of the house that involve ORB! So now I am in the know....I'm so happy to be on the same page as everyone else!

Good Bones!
Back to Hades. A few weeks ago, I found this gem of a lamp at a yard sale for $2! I love the shape of the urn. I love that its elevated a bit on a lovely metal base. I can turn this into something usable for my bedroom redo that is coming up!

Look at the pretty base
with a coat of ORB on it!
So I took apart the lamp and cleaned everything with some vinegar and water and then proceeded to paint all the metal parts with ORB. Easy peasy.


The original yellow
Then I went to painting that ugly ceramic urn. I tried sanding off some of the artwork and that wasn't working I was being lazy so I just primed over it. I figured that the lamp would go on my side of the bed and the flowers would blend in with the paint scheme I had planned for it. So after I primed, I spray painted the urn a sunny yellow, and then put on  a porcelain crackle glaze from Valspar. I waited overnight for it to dry per the directions and I woke up too........NOTHING. there was no cracking.
I see no cracking......grrrrr

Now I had had the thought that maybe I need to add the glaze so that I can see the cracks, but I reread the instructions on the glaze about 3 times and they said, "Cracks will appear as the product dries." Well the product is dry....and I ain't got no cracks. Grrrrr.
Pale Butter with the glaze on.

So I wipe the thing down (just in case) and I reprime and repaint. This time I use latex primer and latex paint, because the porcelain glaze says to have a VALSPAR undercoat. Well don't all products say to use their own brand as the prep work for the technique you're doing? Yes, they do. I figured spray paint would be the same. Nope, so maybe the glaze works with the latex in the paint somehow, so I'll bite. I run to Lowe's and pick up a little sample can of Pale Butter. Apparently, its a trend color. Whatever, I don't care about trends....it matches the lamp I bought a while back at Target, that's what is important. My lamps will work together, but not be matchy-matchy. This is despite my husband's concerns....he thinks they should match, but I digress. :)

   So I prime and paint the piece again and let it dry. The glaze directions also say to let the piece dry for 24 hours.....Who has got time for that. It got 14, and that was hard for me. So I reapply the glaze per the instructions and let it dry. The next morning I come down and STILL NO CRACKS. ARGH! Talk about frustration. This is ridiculous. I'm tired of messing with this efffing lamp. It was a $2 lamp....it should not be this hard to get it to look the way I've envisioned. So I decide that I'm not going to redo this lamp yet again and I'm just going to apply the mocha glaze like I'd intended to.

So I start wiping on my glaze, working in small sections and then adding more glaze when needed, and guess what I start to see. CRACKS! Yay! It actually worked! I have small porcelain cracks in my finish! Hallelujah!  So I finish the mocha glaze with a big 'ole smile on my face, and I let that dry for a bit. 

Look at those lovely small cracks! So happy!
Another shot of the body. I'm loving the color and the technique!
Again it says to wait a week before putting anything on top of the mocha glace, but I couldn't wait a full 24 hours do you really think I'm going to wait a week?? I think not. I waited for about an hour. Then took my new lovely, cracked urn out to the garage for a top coat of cool opal iridescent paint. I spray the piece lightly and then let it dry. 


I put my lovely back together and now she is sitting on my kitchen island in all her pretty glorious wonder just waiting for the perfect lamp shade!


I have plans for the lamp shades in my room, because while the lamp bases won't match....the shades will, but that's for a different post!

I'm linking up to:
UndertheTableandDreaming The Girl Creative 

I hope you enjoyed this rambling post and have a wonderful Sunday!

9 comments:

  1. ORB rocks! And eh hem...So do you! this is super pretty! I really like the pattern outline showing through...Whatta great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I'm a big fan of ORB! Just used it on my own lamp project. Check it out! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out fabulous! Great job - I really love the color! Thanks so much for linking up to The Sunday Showcase Party! Hope you enjoy your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello - Just wanted to let you know I'm featuring your project today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this turned out beautiful. I havn't heard of ORB either, until now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I have a link party on saturdays that I would love for you to join
    www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad it turned out for you. The color is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks lovely...but sounds like an ordeal!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That may not have gone exactly as you planned, but it is gorgeous! The flower pattern is a plus. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete