Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

4/20/2010

Hummingbird Cake.......or is it Bread?

Every good southerner has heard of Hummingbird Cake, and it's wonderful! I love a good cake. I'm not much into frosting, but give me a gooey, moist, scrumptious cake and I'm all yours.

However, when I started mixing up the recipe for Hummingbird Cake it reminded me more of a batter bread than a cake recipe. The only difference? You usually don't frost a loaf of bread, but whatever category it falls under I will definitely be making this again as it has quickly become my fav.or.ite! Icing included.  So on to the goods!


This is also from the Food Network Magazine, April 2010

Hummingbird Cake
active:50 min / total: 2 hr 5 min  /serves: 10 to 12

For the Cake:
Unsalted Butter (for greasing)
2 1/4      cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1            cup pecan pieces
3            ripe bananas, chopped
1/2         cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
**I used 1 8-oz can of chopped pineapple. Next time I think I will use crushed, or chop the pineapple smaller
1             teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2          teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
**I used 'old' nutmeg out of my spice cabinet
1/2           teaspoon ground ginger
1-1/4        teaspoons baking soda
1/2           teaspoon salt
3              large eggs, at room temp
**I just pulled out the eggs when I was gathering all my ingredients and let them sit out until I was ready to use them
1-3/4        cups granulated sugar
1               cup vegetable oil

For the Frosting:
2              packages cream cheese (8 ounces each), at room temperature
12            tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
2              cups confectioner's sugar
1              tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1              teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans and line with parchment paper. Butter the parchment and dust with flour. **I just used cooking spray that is made for baking and didn't mess with the parchment paper. I had no sticking issues.
  2. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and bake until fragrant and toasted, about 8 minutes. Let cool slightly, the roughly chop. Toss with the bananas, pineapple and 1/2 cup flour in a small bowl.
  3. Whisk the remaining 2-1/4 cups flour, the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Beat the eggs and granulated sugar in a separate bowl with a mixer on high speed until thick and light, 5 minutes. Gradually beat in the vegetable oil.
  4. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the egg mixture, then gently fold to make a thick batter. Fold in the pecan-fruit mixture, then transfer the batter to the prepared pans. Bake until the cakes are firm and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Cool in the pans on a rack, 25 minutes, then invert the cakes onto the rack to cool completely.
  5. Make the frosting: Beat the cream cheese in a large bowl with a mixer until fluffy, then gradually beat in the butter until combined. Sift the confectioners' sugar over the cream cheese mixture and beat until smooth. Add the lemon zest and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
  6. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread about half of the frosting on top, then cover with the other cake layer. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
Not the prettiest frosting job, but it still tasted good.
I'm also not the best cake/pie/dessert cutter, but the cake more than made up for the shoddy serving job!
I'm linking up to:


I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

  1. mmmmm, probably shouldn't have looked at cake so early in the morning. Now I'm craving something sweet!

    ReplyDelete