Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

4/03/2010

Displaying Your Kid's Art

This is the frame after a whooping 10 minutes.
The bottom seems blank....
So there are a ton of tutorials and ideas out there for how to display your child's masterpieces, and I'm just going to throw my idea into the fray as well. :)  Now let me explain....it's not done. It needs something. Maybe one of you will be able to help me out.....I hope so. 

I have long wanted to display Dev's (and eventually H's) artwork and feature it in one room or another. The other dilemma......my husband. I love him dearly and he has very good design sense....we just have different design senses. :) I like a modern take on vintage shabby. I love black. I love girly touches, but not to girly....just a hint of femininity,which is the problem I'm having now because this needs something else to finish it. Its masculine....I need the right flourish to make it mine. :)

Besides what I've already mentioned this craft was so quick to make, before I decided to add the moulding. I got the project 'completed' in like 10 minutes, then I decided I needed to add more. Gotta love stuff you can do so quick though! So on to what was done...


What I used:
  • 18 x 24 frame
  • black satin spray paint
  • burlap
  • clothes pins
  • glue gun
  • wood glue
  • coping saw (not the saw to use btw)
  • utility knife
  • tape measure
  • kid art
  • small moulding ( I used the  smallest moulding that Lowe's had)
The pictures were an old craft
project that didn't turn out well.

What I did:

Take apart your frame and clean if needed (I did, the frame had been sitting in my garage for almost a year).

I used the glass instead of the
backing because the backing
was nicer than the glass.
Cut your burlap slightly larger than your frame backing.

Add some glue to the center and then wrap the burlap around the backing, gluing as you go. Make sure to keep the burlap taut.
Put the burlap into the frame, and decide how you want to display your child's art. I decided that I'd like to be able to display 2 pieces up top and then have a 'showcase' piece on the bottom.

 I eyeballed where the clothespins would go and then added a small line of hot glue to the back of each clothespin and pressed them into place. I did not paint the clothespins because I wanted them to blend into the color of the burlap. I also wanted to add bows, but hubby thought it'd be too girly.

Now decide where you want to put your moulding. Measure and mark your moulding accordingly. Be sure to cut the 45's so that the long side is on  the outside of the moulding. I cut my moulding so that the edges almost butted up to the edge of the frame and there was a small space between the bottom and the frame. I think I need to color the burlap black here, but I'm still deciding.

Remove the burlap panel and then paint the moulding and the frame.
After the paint is dry, reassemble the frame. Apply a line of wood glue to the back of your moulding and press the moulding down into the burlap where you decided to add it.

Hang your art.



Like I said...I'm very happy with how its turned out so far, but I feel like the bottom is still missing something. Ideas?

I'm linking up to:

Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!The Girl Creative


and Spill the Beans Sunday

MckLinky Blog Hop



I can't wait to read what ya'll come up with, but till then, enjoy your evening!


6 comments:

  1. I have been trying to design something for a similar purpose around here. Thanks so much for the inspiration! Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the lovely comments! I'm still trying to decide what else it needs, but I'll get there. I did see some star appliques that may do the trick......we'll see tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love displaying the artwork...and all too often it ends up on the frig. Great idea. I think it looks lovely and clean just as it is...maybe some scrolling wood things painted black in the corner...not sure I am describing it quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Just came across your blog & am loving it. I have a MckLinky party called Tot Tuesdays. I’d love it if you’d stop by & share some of your great ideas for tots:

    http://delicious-ambiguity-nennyk.blogspot.com/2010/04/tot-tuesdays-4.html

    Cheers,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Just visiting from NFF! Just became a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up this week. I hope you'll join me tomorrow for another great party!

    ReplyDelete