Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

6/03/2010

A Place to Rest your Drink?

So I got another Father's Day gift knocked out today, and I'm very excited to share it with you all. I've been on a definition kick lately and since there are a plethora of baseball terms to choose from, I decided that we needed some baseball terms defined for these coasters. I also bought this Omni Transfer Medium a while ago, and have not had a chance to use it until now. Other than being messy, and probably needing to improve my technique, I'm very happy with how they turned out. :) So without further ado, on to the show!



Stuff you'll use:


4" square tiles
cork mat
Gorilla Glue
Omni Transfer Medium
Clip Art
Modge Podge

What you'll do:

Size the clip art to fit the tile. I would make the print about 3-1/2" square. Print out your clip art using a laser printer or copier. According to the transfer medium ink jet prints do not play well.

The directions on the medium say to paint three coats onto your image. First coat horizontally, second coat vertically and then the last coat diagonally. Let it dry between coats and then after the final coat.
This is the 2nd coat. The paper will wrinkle up and what not, but don't worry it'll work out. :) 
While your images are drying you can cut your cork to fit the bottom of a tile. I would cut the cork to slightly smaller than the tile.

I picked up the white gorilla glue. It said it dried twice as fast as the brown glue and was waterproof....probably useful given what we're doing. :) I wiped down the tiles with a damp cloth and then applied the glue to the backside. make sure to get close to the edges but not too close. Don't worry if the glue  expands past the edges, you can remove it later. Press your cork onto the back of the tile. You'll need to weight your cork and tiles down. So what I did was layer each tile/cork piece between a foam plate then on top of all that I placed a vase filled with gravel and flowers. It was a very lovely tower. :) After the glue dried, I went back and just picked off the glue that seeped from the edges. Your fingernail will do just fine.


When your images are nice and dry, trim around them leaving a 1/4" margin. Lay them in a shallow bowl, sink or Tupperware filled with water and let them soak for at least 20 minutes. After they've soaked for a bit, take one of the images out with the backside up, start rubbing the paper off. I would scratch the paper with my nail and then just rub my finger gently back and forth to remove the paper. Once I got all most all of the paper off, I put it back in the water and moved on to the next one.


After I finished rubbing the paper off all of the images with my finger I then went back with a lint-free towel and gently rubbed the backside again. This removed a little more paper. Let all of your images dry completely.
Don't do this. 
This works better. :) 
Once the images have dried, brush more medium onto the tops of your tiles. Then center your images over the tile and set into place. I burnished the tops and edges with my fingers (part of the mess mentioned earlier) to make sure there were no air bubbles or folds, etc. If there were I gently worked them out, or lifted the image and then laid it down again. Be very careful during this step because you can rip the image. After I was happy with how everything was set, I left them alone to dry. You can also trim the image if need be during this step.

I sealed mine with some modge podge after everything was said and done, just to create another moisture barrier. I don't know if this is necessary, but its what I did. :)


Place into decorative container and put them to work.
The obligatory coffee shot. :) 
I hope you guys enjoyed today's lesson. :) These were a lot of fun to make, and I'm sharing with you these images in case you want to make your own set of baseball coasters for the Dad in your life.
PhotobucketPhotobucket


Update!


I'm pleased to announce that this project is a DIY Club finalist!





Enjoy your day!

12 comments:

  1. These look so impressive! I was hoping that it would turn out to be a quick-and-easy craft, but you lost me at "scratch off the paper". LOL Definitely bookmarking for a future project, when I'm not feeling so lazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute idea for Father's Day! I love the sayings on them too!

    Thanks so much for linking up to The CSI Project's hardware Store Challenge! We hope you will come back next week for the Martha Stewart-inspired challenge -- The MS Craft Department are our guest judges!!!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love this project. Thanks you, I'm gonna bookmark this one. Thanks again.

    Sincerely,

    Your newest follower. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat idea! Great gifts too. Might have to give it a try. Hopped over here from the CSI blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat idea! Great gifts too. Might have to give it a try. Hopped over here from the CSI blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these turned out looking really great! Just stopping by from New Friend Friday. Have a fabulous, crafty weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful Idea! I am going to try it to give as gifts to mi son's baseball coaches. Was there a missing step? I also got lost at rub the paper off. Maybe I skiped something.. I will read it again tomorrow when I am not so tired. Thank you for sharing. I found you through the CSI project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I missed a step. After you paint on the three coats of medium and let that dry; you trim the images and then soak them in water for 20 minutes or so. After that you just scratch at the paper a bit so you can rub it off of the dried medium. The medium dries to this clear silicone type material, which is why the ink sticks to it. I hope this clears up any confusion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are a great idea! I love it. And so many creative options - thanks for the great tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute idea for father's day! Love the definitions {thanks for sharing the printables} Thanks so much for linking to The DIY Club’s Competition. We greatly apprecicate it! Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Check out THE VOTING HAS BEGUN at www.DIYClubinc.com
    --because you are a TOP 10 contestant finalist.
    Grab our button-"I've been featured..." and if you'd like post about it and get those votes coming in. Last monthm our very first event we had over 500 votes.
    Congrats,
    Cheri from Its So Very Cheri and DIY Club inc

    ReplyDelete
  12. love your work - wish i had seen it earlier =p

    ReplyDelete