Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/26/2010

A Super Mario Bros. Art Project!

So I've been hankering to do this project for a while now, but because I wanted to get the bedroom done...I put it off, until now!

Subway art is super easy and chic right now, and I wanted to make some, but for who? Devlin! The boy loves the Super Mario Bros.! So I made him some art using all of the characters and then some from Super Mario Bros. I asked him which ones he wanted included and then went about laying it all out in Photoshop.


Stuff you'll need:


11x14 Canvas
Spray Paint
Spray Adhesive
Craft Knife
Image
Patience
Some Time

What you'll do:

After I got the image the way I wanted, I printed it out on 11x17 paper. I made sure to check the box that said fit document to paper. I sprayed the back of the paper with the adhesive and then centered it on the canvas.

Here's the time consuming part. Carefully cut out around each letter and remove the center and the outside paper. You will be leaving the paper letters on the canvas to act as your stencil. I had thought about using my cutter to do this, but I figured this might be simpler. I have no idea if I'm right not. I sat down and watched the Grey's Anatomy finale and then some.

After you've removed all the excess paper, make sure your letters are pressed down all the way. Then take your canvas outside and spray paint her. Some of my letters lifted while I was  painting her, but I still think she looks good! Let dry for a few. I think I waited a 1/2 hour, because it was muggy here.

gently remove your letters and admire your work, then hang!
There's the pile of letters, and my ever-faithful cup of coffee. :) 

Pretty simple! Do you see where I forgot to remove part of a letter? Oh well....its custom! :)

I have included two  PDF's for ya'll to make your own art. One is outlined so that you can follow what I did above and the other is just in block form.

For the block one you could get some transfer medium gel (omni transfer gel medium is sold at Michael's) but you'll need to print it out on a laser printer or something that uses heat and toner, not an inkjet! Paint the medium over the entire page. Paint horizontally first and let dry, then paint vertically and let dry, and lastly paint diagonally and then let that dry. When it is fully dry, place the entire piece into water and let it soak for about 20 minutes. Gently rub  the paper off the back. The medium will have adhered to the toner leaving only your image behind. Paint your canvas a light or bright color or leave it white, after it has dried center your gel image over the canvas and use more medium to use as glue. You can trim the image if need be with scissors. Let dry, then hang and enjoy!

I  hope you guys enjoyed this post, because I had  a lot of fun making it. I will be doing another subway art piece for Dev in the future but I think I'm going to change it up a bit. :)
Outlined Super Mario Bros. Art
Block Super Mario Bros. Art

*note - some of the outlined words may be filled in with red for some reason, but when you download it, it will just be black and white....no red filling. :)

Linking up to:
Photobucket

Have a wonderful day!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, so that's what subway art is...words positioned in different ways. I think this would be great for a blogging bag (cloth) I was thinking of making so it's good I got here for this one, smile. Hi Healther! I'm here from the TAT blog hop and your newest follower.

    Hope you'll come visit my blog and follow me too. Thanks. I love this blog hop because it takes me where I never knew I needed to go. Great blog, I'm glad I found it.

    http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you make your blog have different tabs? I would love for mine to have that. It's awesome!! From the CSI project

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love this idea! Thanks for linking to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute project for a little boy! I love the way you made the lettering on your computer first too. Great idea!

    Thanks so much for linking up to my Subway Art Party!

    XOXO
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cute idea! I'm featuring this in a post on subway art tomorrow on crazydomestic.com! Feel free to grab our "I was featured" button!

    ReplyDelete