Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/17/2010

Day 1 and Introductions

I'm Jess and I'm no stranger to the blog-o-sphere... however I tend to have issues with regular updating, but hopefully this little experiment will break me of that!! If you wanna check out my "personal" blog, you can do that here. :)

I work for a small financial firm with my husband and in-laws - and as scary as that sounds it's actually pretty flippin' awesome. I have one child - a four year old son. Unlike Heather I definitely GAINED lots of weight with my pregnancy and the months after. I was the heaviest I had ever been in my adult life when I found out I was pregnant - 175lbs at 5'10 (which these days sounds pretty slim and sexy, not gonna lie) - and I gained 30lbs during my pregnancy putting me up to 205lbs. Not too bad considering my height and frame. After my son was born I managed to drop almost all that weight - but unfortunately a bit of postpartum depression kicked in and I found myself comforting with food and high calorie beverages - packing back on ALL of the 30 pounds I had gained while pregnant.

I joined a gym in January of 07 and was back down to 175lbs by Spring of 08. However, that Fall I completely fell out of my gym routine and started gaining again - slowly, but steadily. I found myself back up to 190lbs by the Fall of 09 and here, coming up on the summer of 2010, I am heavier than I was 9 months pregnant - at 210lbs. My ideal is to be at 160lbs, to bring my BMI back into the "normal" range -- but for all intensive purposes my current goal is 180 and I'll work from there. :)

My plan for shedding the weight is to get back into a good gym routine and to start watching my caloric intake. I'm looking at this as an opportunity to get healthier all around. I "quit" smoking back in February, but lately have been giving in to temptation and smoking quite regularly when hanging around other smokers. This must stop! Starting today I'm not only going to focus on losing weight and getting stronger, but also on being a real ex-smoker.

The hardest part about this experiment for me is probably going to be the diet change. I'm a huge foodie. I love all things food. I may love food more than anything else in the whole wide world. And I love all kinds of "bad" food -- I tell my husband I want a show on Food Network called "The Best Bar Food In America" where I travel the country eating all that is cheesy, fried and delicious. Bar food is my weakness. Mozzarella sticks, potato skins, fried pickles, buffalo wings - I love it the most. Bar food and chinese food. BRING ON THE SODIUM OVERLOAD FOLKS! So, yes, the "diet" portion of this is definitely going to be the most difficult. I intend to allow myself one "cheat" day a week - where I can choose one meal to be a "bad" food meal. My other struggle will be cutting back on calories from alcohol - I love beer and wine and usually drink one glass of one or the other on almost a daily basis. Plus the 3 or 4 I'll have with friends on any given weekend.

I plan to post weekly "stats" - weight and measurements. I'm a big fan of Dr. Oz and he suggests not focusing so much on your scale number for the first couple months, but more your waist size. Just putting that out there. :)

Hopefully with the support of a group of awesome friends this change-for-the-better will not only be possible, but fun and enjoyable in the process!

Day 1 Stats:
210lbs
Bust: 40"
Waist: 36"
Hips: 46"
Thighs: 27.5"
Arms: 14"

No comments:

Post a Comment