Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/24/2010

Sunday Dinner with Less!

So it was my weekend again for the family dinner, and I had planned on having Peach Pie, Apple-Stuffed Chicken, Cabbage and Potatoes of some sort. I go to pull out the makings for the chicken and guess what?!?! I have no chicken stuffing, and its pouring. Cats.And.Dogs.Raining. Yea....there's not enough money in the world that would get me to go out in that mess. So off to the cook book I go.

I find a recipe for Glazed Cornish Hens, and I have everything for that, except the Cornish Hens, but I have a chicken, so I'll adapt it. :) I then continue on with my original plan. So here's the goods!
I only cooked my bird for 2-1/2 hours.
Parts of it had to be nuked,
because I  had a time limit. We needed to be
done by Lost's Finale. :) 


Glazed Chicken


active time: 30ish minutes/ total time: 3 hours 30 minutes / serves: 6 - 8


Ingredients:
6-7 pound roaster chicken
1 medium tart apple, quartered
1 medium onion, quartered
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup soy sauce

Steps:

  1. Lightly stuff chicken with onion and apple. Place in shallow roasting pan. 
  2. Combine butter and soy sauce and brush over chicken. Use remaining liquid as basting liquid. 
  3. Bake, covered at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hours. Basting every 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 30 to 60 minutes longer or until meat thermometer reads 180 degrees.
  4. Remove from oven and let rest for 10-20 minutes before carving. 

Steamed Cabbage


active time: 10 minutes / total time: 30 minutes / serves: 6 - 8 people 

Ingredients:
Head or half a head of cabbage, depending on how many you need to serve.
*a head of cabbage will feed 6 - 8 people, whereas half a head will feed 4 - 6
1 tsp sugar
dash or two of red pepper flakes
2 tbs butter

Steps:

  1. Rinse and remove the core of the cabbage, then roughly chop. 
  2. Place cabbage in a steamer basket over boiling water and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. 
  3. Remove cabbage from basket and place in a dish. Add butter, pepper and sugar to the cabbage and gently toss. 

I didn't keep my cut-outs, but the pie
still looked nice. :) 

Peach Pie


active time: 15 - 20 minutes / total time: 1 hour 10 minutes / serves: 6 to 8

Ingredients:
6 cups peaches, about 6 medium peaches, sliced.  *I use frozen
2 9" pie crusts
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1/8 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp orange peel
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbs butter, sliced
milk, optional
tapioca, optional

Steps:

  1. Line the bottom of a pie plate with one of the pie crusts. Trim the edge of the crust even with the pie plate. 
  2. Mix the sugar, corn starch, nutmeg, orange peel, almost extract and lemon juice together. Add the peaches to the mixture and gently mix. Optional: depending on the wetness of the mixture, you may want to add some tapioca. I would not add more than a spoonful of tapioca. 
  3. Pour the peach mixture into the pie crust and top with butter. 
  4. Unroll the remaining pie crust and cut out a design. Save the cut-outs. Place the pie crust on top of the peach mixture. Seal, trim and flute the pie crust. Brush milk onto the back of the cut-outs and place on the top of  the pie. Brush milk over the top of the pie. 
  5. Cover the edges with foil, and bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove the foil and bake for additional 10-15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack and refrigerate after serving. 

If you guys are wondering about my potato dish, then I'm going to have to admit that I made up some instant garlic mashed potatoes. I ran out of gusto, but the meal was still delicious. :)

I hope you guys enjoyed the recipes today. We did.
I hope you guys have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment