Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/10/2010

Cake Balls with a Lemony Twist!

I had wanted to show off pictures of Mom's Mother's Day Brunch, but someone {Dad....and in case Mom didn't give you the message, then Mom} has not sent me the pictures. So you will have to make do with some camera phone pictures and some funny shots from after the brunch, but given my seemingly new Sunday night tradition, I'd like to share with you a recipe.

Sandra Dee would be proud of this one. I found the idea from Bakerella, but changed it, because I'm 1) lazy, 2) overbooked my weekend and 3) slept in today (being that it was Mother's Day and all), but all those  excuses aside I had intended on changing the recipe all along. Mom's culinary theme was citrus, so I thought that lemon cake dipped in white chocolate would be yummy. ;)


I will walk through my morning today. I woke up at 7, when H woke, and immediately freaked because I had wanted to get up at 6 to get the dessert done. Steve later told me I stubbornly slept through his attempts to wake me. So at 7:22 I finally make it to the kitchen and hastily mix up the cake batter and bake my lemon cake in a 13x9 pan,  put it in the fridge on a wire rack after letting it sit for about 15 minutes on the counter.

I think I waited 15 minutes, long enough to attach the hanging hardware to another mirror project, before pulling out the cake and crumbling it into a bowl. Steve helped me with this part and then the ball-rolling. I added an entire can of whipped cream frosting, mixing it with my hands. We shaped the balls and placed them in 8" round cake pans (they fit nicely in my deep freeze). We ended up with 42 cake balls. I ran up to take a shower and get dressed for the brunch.

H woke up at 10, which was about 10-15 minutes after I got out of the shower. I convinced him to hold off on his bottle until Daddy was done with his shower so that he could feed him and I could candify the cake.

I had bought a pound and a half of white chocolate melting wafers, and it was not enough. 2 pounds would have been better. I melted half of my wafers in a measuring glass in the wave. I started at a minute at 40% power, then in 30 second increments, stirring between each session. I think I had a total of 2 minutes total of microwaving. When I ran out of chocolate, I repeated the above steps.

Then, in the time it took to Steve to feed Harrison, I dipped and cooled all but 8 cake balls in the chocolate. We then packed everything and everyone up and headed the 10 miles to Mom's house.

They were de.lic.ious! All of the food was scrumptious, but I only have the workings for what I provided, sorry! :)





So here are the funny pictures.

Devlin hurt himself letting Carrie out of her crate. His chore is to put her in her crate when we leave and then to let her out when we return. In order to prove that there was no mark on his cheek, Steve took a picture of his cheek and showed him. He needed the photographic proof. :)

Here I am {this is truly a spectacular angle} in my glad rags from the brunch putting up more mirror hardware.  Before we carried the mirror upstairs I changed. :)

I hope you guys enjoyed this little gem, and have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

  1. These look good! I've been eyeing them up over at Bakerella for a while now and really must get round to trying them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were super easy. I am definitely going to be doing these again. I was a little worried because she seems to use red velvet a lot and cream cheese, but the lemon and whipped cream did just fine. :) I'm thinking about doing these again and making them with funfetti :)

    ReplyDelete