Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/17/2010

Sublime Spice Cake

We celebrated a friend's birthday this past week, and in honor of that I tried a new recipe. Now, I'm not really an icing person, and neither is the birthday boy! It was also requested that the cake be in cupcake form. Not a problem. I had a box of spice cake mix, but who wants plain spice cake? So off to Google I go.

I found a recipe for chocolate spice cake on FamilyOven.com. It was easy enough, so on to the show!


What you'll use:
Cake
1 (18-1/2 oz) box spice cake mix
1 (3-1/2 oz) package instant chocolate pudding mix
4 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream **I only had 1/2 cup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup cinnamon baking chips

Chocolate Glaze
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate bits
1 tablespoon butter **I ended up using 2 tablespoons butter, and some milk

What you'll do:
Cake


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Grease and flour a bundt pan. 
  3. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, 4 large eggs, vegetable oil, water, sour cream and vanilla extract. 
  4. Beat on low speed to moisten, scraping down sides 2 or 3 times. 
  5. Then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. 
  6. Stir in cinnamon chips.
  7. Pour into prepared pan. 
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
  9. Let stand in pan for 20 minutes, then invert cake onto a plate. 
Chocolate Glaze:

  1. Melt semi-sweet morsels and butter in a small saucepan over low heat until melted, stir often.  **I had to add some milk. I don't know how much I added, but I kept slowly adding and thoroughly mixing. I should have added some more for a  more liquid glaze, but I was short on time. 
  2. Remove from heat and pour over cake. 

So I mentioned that cupcakes were ordered didn't I? Well I had to change the bake time a bit for that. I baked the cupcakes for 20 minutes, and they were perfect.


I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as we did. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment