Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/01/2010

My Vision, My Plan

 Well we are starting the makeover, and I'm a little over-whelmed by the magnitude of things that I need to accomplish in order see my vision come to fruition. To make matters worse more complicated interesting I went shopping, and found the perfect vanity. Well it will be perfect. Then I found a chair, an UGLY chair for the vanity, so it needs some love. A lot of love, but we'll get to that. Later

So here's some background, we bought and moved into our home, our first home, just about a year ago. After waiting for 5 months on a short sale that was in my parents' subdivision, we Stephen got fed up with the run around we were getting. So when the umpteenth deal expired on that house, I went out and looked at some new construction in and around our area. We had been renting a home for 3 years after moving down from Jersey, and were more than ready for home ownership. So I looked at several homes. Stephen had already picked out his favorite - based on looking at floorplans online. I did not like the one he liked. He did not like the one I liked. Hrm, well the one he liked had a decorated model nearby. I had only walked through that  model  while it was still being built. Drywall was not even up....just the studs. The floor plan was nice, but I was leary about the family room size, and just how this house would be able to fit our family. The next day, we drive out to the model, with Mom and Dev in tow, and Stephen is in love. Me....not so much. Its nice, don't get me wrong, but all models are nice. The flow is nice and the layout works. Still worried about the family room.
Now I must intercede here, by telling you that we had the best and more understanding realtor ever. We must have looked at at least 50 homes, and I found something wrong with most all of them, except for a select few. When I did find that glaring error that killed the house from our possibility list, I would announce, "Ok, we're done here," and walk for the door. Stephen and our realtor would then shake their heads and we'd head for the next house. This became the butt of many jokes. 

Back to the history, our house has an open floor plan, which is all well and good, except I do like some walls. I was having problems visualizing the room that 98% of our day would be spent in. So after a 45 minute conversation in the master bedroom of the model, I concede that we'll price one out to even see if what we would want in the house is in our price range. We drive back and straight to the development. We price everything up, and get told that unless we sign the contract today then the price will go up, because all those deals they just sold us on expire the next day (this all happened on the last day of the month). So another lengthy discussion, Stephen and I decide to go for it. We sign the contract. 

Oh, in case you're wondering, in order to solve my visual problem with the family room, we asked the builder to install two columns along the hallway so that they border the family room. The living room had a column in the plan, so we asked that they install two more columns just like the one in the living room. It helps A LOT.

So after decorating the first floor (sans Steve's study) and the boys' rooms, we are now tackling our master bedroom. I want this room my sanctuary to feel like I've stepped into a ritzy hotel room with a spa off to the back. The spa will be decorated later, because right now it's just a bath. :)


I'm calling this design a shabby twist on traditional contemporary. Yea that sounds good. On to the show! 


This color is Epic. Ok, so that was weak, but I tried. :)
I forgot to include it in the picture of all the  paint chips. 

These are the colors, with some extras thrown in. Just to keep you on your toes.  :) 


I got SUCH a good deal on this fabric. Red Tag Sale at Hancock Fabrics. $5/yd down from $15/yd. I got 6 yards.....Last time I went back to Hancock they still had some....might have to go nab some more. :) I don't know what the original price of this was, but when I looked at the special order fabrics of the Robert Allen line they start at $60/yd. I love it when someone orders stuff and then returns it! :) 

So this is almost everything. I'm missing two color chips and have an extra color chip in there.  I'm helpful aren't I? Basically, nothing is set in stone until its dry. :) But I have a direction!
Here's a parting shot of a craft project that is already done. I am going to repeat this. 
I am linking up to the parties here.

I hope you all enjoyed the sneak peaks of what's going into our room. Have a wonderful weekend!  

No comments:

Post a Comment