Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/16/2010

One Punk Coming Up!

So, I've  been sitting here staring at my blogger screen for about 5 minutes trying to decide on what I want to post. I've also been writing out this paragraph in my head, because I couldn't reach my keyboard. My laptop was sitting on the ottoman in front of me, and I was staring at a blank blogger new post page. Why?

Because, Harrison was eating, and I figured that while he was eating, in between kisses on the head, I could maybe try and decide what to write. It didn't work. I am still torn between two directions.


So in the short time that it has taken me to type this, I have decided on which to post about. Not because I like one better than the other, or because one is easier to post about than the other, but simply because I have pictures uploaded into Picasa already for one and the other's are still on the camera, which is probably still downstairs in the basement. While not a long walk, its just a little too far from my favorite chair to venture this morning. It was a late night, and I have not yet had my coffee. This would also  explain why the post was not written last night, and I am now feeling late, behind, tardy - really whatever you want to call it. :) So on to my decision!

I always get a giddy feeling when Dev shows off something I've made him. His chest gets all puffy with pride as he runs up to whomever is walking through our front door to tell them, "Look what Mommy made ME! Look what she did! I love it, don't you?" My big boy is awesome. AWE.SOME.

But let's tell the truth, some times my boy is a pain and gets on my nerves and is just plain irritating at times. He's almost halfway through his 4th year, and boy does he drive me batty. He's got an opinion, he wants you to know it, and if you don't agree with him he'll get mad, frustrated, insolent - whatever he feels.

I feel for him. Its hard to be a little guy. There are a lot of rules, and you're expected to follow every last one of them. Like not jumping, horsing around on the couch, because - oh, I don't know - you may decide that doing a forward roll off and over the arm of the couch into the clean basket of clothes is a REALLY good idea. It's not such a good idea after 1) I fuss at you for horseplaying on the furniture, again 2) hurting yourself, because your ear caught the edge of the basket and was sandwiched between hard plastic and your head and 3) for going back and doing it again when Daddy gets home, because you want to show him what you did. Le sigh. He's my boy and I love him, but really sometimes I wish he wasn't such a show-off. :)

So  I decided to make him a shirt that he could show-off without performing any amazing feats of acrobats or gymnastics, and because I am a little bit sarcastic not at all sarcastic, I put PUNK on it. :) So here's what I did and learned.

I'll start with what I learned. Fabric paint does not much like dark colored shirts, but that being said I am more stubborn than any dark colored shirt so I made it work. :)

I started off with running a sheet of freezer paper through my wishblade and cutting out the word. Then ironed it on, and brought it downstairs so I could watch my adorable little monsters. More on that later. :) Dev called this font the guitar hero font. :) Its not....its Bad Manners something or other. 

Then I sprayed Neon Green paint over and around the word. It looks great wet, but then I got the thinking that it needed more, so just around each letter I pounced some black, slightly metallic, paint. It created a nice depth, IMO. Then I pulled off the letters. 

As you can see, with the flash, the shirt looks pretty durn good, but look below to see what he looks like without the flash, which is why I then outlined each letter in white puffy paint. It was very hard to see the difference between the navy blue and the black paint. It was fine if the light hit it, but then my shadow would get in the way, so I referenced the letters I had pulled off to write them out.


 
 So then I tried getting Devlin to put it on after it dried. Here are some good action shots of him running and hiding from me. 

 
 And just because I can't leave out my other guy - here's Harrison trying desperately to get into that DVD basket. 

Here's Dev after I got the shirt on him, which was surprisingly easy, once he figured out that I had made him something new. :) Here he is - hamming it  up!
 
With out flash and then with flash. I do like the effect and I will do it again for him, but I wish it was a bit more prominent. 

I apologize again for the tardiness of this post, but I had a lot of fun making this shirt for Devlin and I will be making him some more. He's requested a guitar hero / Mario shirt, and if ANY of you gals has an idea of how to accomplish that one - I am all ears.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and restful Sunday. Enjoy your day!

5 comments:

  1. That is really awesome. I think I might like a PUNK shirt in pink.

    Happy Sunday!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh....I like that idea, and walmart had some nice t's for $5 :) i just might have to go pick me up one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out really cute & I love the "real boy" photos. Thanks for linking up to Craftastic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! Great tutorial. The lettering looks fabulous! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it! Hope you are enjoying your week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up to Tot Tuesdays! What a fun shirt. Love the font! I hope you’ll join me again next week! ☺

    ReplyDelete