Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/20/2010

Number Round-Up!

Ok so yesterday was interesting, in a good way, well most of it. :) Let me start off on the right foot, however.

Reminders


The DIY Club voting ends today, so make sure you have your vote in! Make sure to comment in yesterday's post, because Saturday morning I will be picking a winner from them. 

So now on to the rest of it!


I am excited because I was featured on Remodelaholic! Yay! She featured the big mirror project. I am also {still} working on my master bedroom. I'm in the process of doing a lot of sewing. Did you know that a king size duvet is humongous?!? I did, I know I did, but I don't think I realized just how much and how heavy all that fabric would be. I can't wait until it's done. After that, I have some Euro Shams to do up, some more painting to do, and some sprucing up. However, the last might be hard to accomplish, because I am looking for some Minwax Antique Oil Finish, and every time I think about googling it....I'm no where near my computer, and there are just some things I refuse to do with my phone. :) Be that as it may, I am going to finish my room this weekend! I. AM. I should have the duvet sewn up tomorrow and the pillows should be a breeze, two simple pillows with welting, and then painting more pillow cases. I had thought about doing regular shams, but I'll see if the bed needs them. I was going to paint our dressers, and that may still happen. In the future. Very far away future.

Here's what I did today, just so I could accomplish something. :) In the time it took us to watch a DVR'd episode of Desperate Housewives, I revamped a lamp (hey, that rhymes!) for Dev. After is was done he gave it a stamp of approval. :)

 Look lamp guts! And the first idea had for the lamp shade. 

Here's idea 2 for the the shade. I like these bigger numbers better. I created a document in CS3 and made it as wide as the largest circumference around the lamp. then I skewed the tops of the numbers to match the circumference of the top. My shade was about 10 inches in diameter on the bottom, 8 inches in diameter on the top and 7 inches tall. So I made my document 31 inches wide by 7 inches tall. I skewed the top of the text so that it was only about 25 inches wide. I saved the file as a jpeg and then opened up the file in Paint, because Paint will print pages continuously instead of just cutting them off. Just tape the pages together to form the big document.  

 
Here's the 1st idea for the bigger numbers. I cut slits in the top and bottom of the strip of paper; thinking that I could wrap the numbers inside the shade and it would conform to it. Ha!

So here's idea 2, since idea 1 did not work. Cut the numbers out individually.

I then taped the numbers to the inside of the lamp, spacing them as evenly as possible. I don't have pictures of me taking a Sharpie and coloring them in, nor do I have pictures of me spray painting the base navy blue. 

Here are the completed pictures!  
 


Oh and the the not so fun part of today, was when I was showering and a piece of hair got tangled between my fingers (I hate that) and while trying to untangle it, I noticed that it was not as dark a shade of brown, one could even say it was {gray}! Ugh, guess what I'm doing on Sunday.

 I'm sorry for the long post today but, you know, sometimes it can't be avoided. I hope you guys have a wonderful day!
 

12 comments:

  1. Hi
    Im visiting you via Some What Simple.
    What a wonderful idea! Gives me great inspiration for the bedside lamp that my son needs in his room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative. It is making me think about what all my lampshade look like to see if perhaps I have one which could benefit from this treatment... hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool idea! I might have to try this one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. coming from remodleaolics and LOVE THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Numbers seem to be so hot right now. Who would have guessed? Numbers!
    Visiting from Remodelaholics!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so chic and stylish, love the graphic look of the numbers on the shade. I will have to do this to my craft room lamp, how clever of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!!!! I'm your newest follower and I'd love it if you followed me back. I'm having a giveaway worth $100-! Hope to see you there=0)

    I love this lamp shade, very cool=0)

    xoxo,
    Carol
    http://www.cieloazuljewelry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE IT! I'm crazy for anything numbered anyway, but this is just too cute for real life~I might have to steal this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. And I really like the green color of the walls. Great job!

    Thanks for linking up to Saturday is Crafty Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for showing the love! I had a lot of fun with this, as did Dev, because he got to be my 'manager' :) I want to do this again with something....time to think, think, think (sorry too much My Friends, Tigger and Pooh) :)

    Laura - the green is one of the Disney colors from Behr. We let Dev pick his bedroom colors before we moved and he loved the Cars-themed bedroom, but he wanted Yoshi-color instead of the red. So we went with that key lime green color and 100 acre sky on the top (same as in Harrison's room) and tigger's tummy is a stripe that runs between the two. I think after i get his room more done I might have to show it off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore this lamp! I'm so into numbers! Sigh...another project I MUST pilfer and create! Thanks bunches!

    ReplyDelete