Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/08/2010

The Mirror and the "B"

I'm just including this little guy
because he lives under our
air handler, and I didn't know
that until today. :) 
Well, I am just going to have to admit it. There is no way on this green Earth that I am going to finish the bedroom this weekend. Part of the reason is because I have not yet even begun to paint our dressers, and the mirror projects one mirror project is being a pain. The other reason is because I have no nightstands. Well, I have our old ones, but I really don't want to use them again, and well, I have no replacements. Sigh.

I do, however; want to share with ya'll what I have gotten done, and marked off my checklist! I wanted something above my headboard, but had no idea what. Art really wouldn't work. I don't know why, but I feel like the only 'art' I want in our room is the art from our life, but I don't really want a family portrait over our headboard. So while I was discussing this dilemma over with Mom, we came up with a solution. A mirror! But then I got the thinking that a mirror is kind of boring and can get pricey. So while we were walking around Ikea, we found an $8 mirror that was the perfect size and proportion, but the frame was lacking. I have a solution for that! I also had another idea for layering some interest. :)  So on to the show!

 There's the mirror from Ikea......it's unimpressive right now. :) I forgot to take pictures of my process for the mirror. I glued it down to a sheet of plywood, that was cut down to the exact size of the mirror. Then I framed it out with 1x2's. 

Here's the mirror all primed and painted. Just waiting for some distressing and stain.  

So I decided that I needed to layer the mirror with a wreath, only I didn't want a girly, flower-y wreath, so I decided on a 'B' glued up in moss. I thought it was be the perfect juxtaposition between greenery, texture and wreath. So I got some foam, paint, moss and got busy making my B. 

I printed, cut out and traced a B onto the foam. 


Then I cut it out using our bread knife, the only serrated knife in the house.  

Then I pulled out the paint. I had this on hand, and it matched the moss pretty well :) I painted the entire B, front, back, sides and let it dry. 



 Then I pulled out the old glue gun and went to town with the moss. I don't appreciate the mess it made though, hence the plastic bags.


I hung the B from a silver ribbon and attached it to the top of the mirror with a removable hook. I didn't realize I could have made the ribbon a little longer, as I was interrupted by a small someone. :)  

Here are the pictures of the finished product. I am quite pleased with it, but apparently, my hubby has to let the B grow on him. Sigh, so I guess a change may not be out of the question, but I hope he grows to like it. 




I hope you guys enjoyed this long winded post. I, for one, am glad to have these two projects off my list, because it means I'm just that much closer to be done. :) Have a wonderful weekend!

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE the B, and I think the idea to frame out the inexpensive Ikea mirror frame is super.

    Congrats on making progress!

    :) Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project. The mirror is stunning and the B a perfect addition!
    Holly
    www.504main.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the B! You are so motivated, if I can't find a letter pre-cut somewhere I'm out of luck!! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, I'm hoping that he does like it, because I don't want to have to think up another option, but so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out simply stunning! Love how you framed the mirror and the moss monogram is the perfect touch! Thanks for stopping by and joining the Sunday Showcase! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unique & pretty! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Heather! Just wanted to let you know I'll be featuring your mirror today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! I love how the B turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the comments. I'm so glad that you guys like the project. :) I had a lot of fun doing it. Altho I can't wait until all the projects are done for the room. All the rest of the projects have been put on hold until this revamp is done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather - Again, Love this. The moss 'B' is the perfect touch! Fantastic job! Thanks so much for joining The DIY Club this month! We greatly appreciate it! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute Heather! It turned out great!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have one of those cheapy mirrors and have wanted to do something with it. Now I know how to frame it out and make it into something great! The plywood frame trick is so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is super cute! i hope you might also link it to the project library...just as soon as i get it all sorted out :( hahaha fingers crossed for you in the contest! thanks for finding me at the new site...hope others do soon!

    ReplyDelete