Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/06/2010

From Garbage to Gorgeous!

Trash to treasure is overused don't you think? Which is why I have rescued some garbage :) Ok, so not really garbage, but there was no way this chair was making into my house with the way she looked. The desk, a little beat up, but has some awesome bones. :) So welcome to first real glimpses of my bedroom revamp.

I also need to explain, that while I took pictures of my process, I am in know no way advocating the way I did it, because there are most certainly better ways of creating a slipcover. So on to the show!


I'll start with the chair. She's sturdy, and that's about all she's got going for her.

  Carebear and Jackie are feeling the need to check out this new intruder. 
We must be afraid and wary of this new chair. :) 

 Look she looks better already. Ok, not really. 

 Well, we're getting somewhere. How do you like that big 'ole mirror that is not going back into my bedroom?

Hmmm, reusing a king sheet was a good idea, but there's just too much of it, and despite the fact that my floor was recently vacuumed, you know that Jack has tattooed it with his white doggie fur.  

The bed is a much better spot to spread out and work. :)  



 Now we're getting somewhere. She's a little sheer, some fleece interfacing will fix that problem.


 She needs something....

 I'm thinking that she needs a sash....but I need more fabric for that. :) 



A monogram is just the thing! My monogram is perfect!

 I have to tell you a bit of a story here. My sister, Dana, lives in Nashville, and as everyone has heard, they have had massive flooding. So my sister is off work due to Mother Nature's wrath, and she's bored. So she called me, and while we were chatting I was doing this monogram. Do you know how difficult it is to try and line up all the pieces to a curly, scripty monogram while talking on the phone? The 'B' was no problem because it's like 8" tall, but the other letters I think are 3" or 4" tall....the 'H' was a B. Just sayin'. I forgot to paint the middle of the H, so I dipped my craft knife into the paint and then very carefully, while complaining to my sister about my faux pas, wrote the missing link in. I think it's pretty durn good. :) The 'B' is in platinum, careful girls, I'm mixing metals in my room. So far I'm loving the effect of the ORB and the aluminum, but I'll show you when I'm all done. :)

Now on to the vanity. There's really not much to tell. I painted her. Done. :) Enjoy these pictures of the process.

Mmmmm, primer. Don't you just love the primer smell in the morning?  

 The original hardware. Not a too bad, but it's not doing it for me. 


All I did was clean these beauties with some soap and water, then a quick spray of aluminum spray paint. I love that it brought out the pitting in the brass. 




So there is my pretty new vanity. I'm in love with her. :) 

So here's the end story for these pieces. I'm a dodo....I forgot to include these pictures when this published this AM. 


I think the vacuum off to the side makes the picture. :) 
On the way home on Friday, after dropping my guys off, I stop at this run down (and I mean holes-in-the-roof-letting-sunshine-in run down) antiques/consignment shop. Just past the register area, was this little beauty slightly buried underneath lamps and some other assorted stuff. She was $25, and even better, she fit in the car.

So off we went, I didn't make it home till much later though, because I was distracted by two other consignment shops. I stopped by a new (well new to me) shop in Gainesville, just outside Gateway Center, called Stuff!. This is pretty cool shop and packed to the gills with lovelies. I found the chair there, along with a dictionary, glass tray and some art for H's bathroom. The chair came to $6. I then traveled to Ross, and found a king sheet set for like $15. I used the fitted sheet to cover the box springs of the bed, and the flat sheet then became the slip cover for the chair.

I had the fabric paint, interfacing, freezer paper, spray paint and primer. I bought the paint, along with ALL of the other paint for the room the next day at Lowe's. The color of the vanity is called Cloudy Sunset by Valspar. I am in love with this hue. She's happy when the light is on her, and when in the shade, she becomes a little subdued, but still cheery.

Unfortunately, I did not take pictures after I started to decorate her, but I think I'm ok with holding off, because with any luck (and I could use some right now, because tonight luck is not with me) I'll have the mirror projects at least primed and painted. We'll see how that goes, and I know that I said I wanted to be done with this room by this weekend, but that may not happen, because I realized today that I still don't have my stencil, and I can't complete the room without it. Sigh. Oh well. At least I have a number of projects to keep me busy until the stencil does arrive.

I'm linking up to these parties!
I hope you enjoyed, and have a wonderful day!

15 comments:

  1. this is fab!! i adore monograms. stopping by from the shabby chic cottage linky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the makeover. We are in the process of building a house and I really want something like this in my daughters (17) room. She really needs to move into a lady like room. I so want to find her a antique vanity. Stopping by from NFFriday. If you get a min stop by. Have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...awesome makeover!!! I love the slipcover for the chair!!! I'm your newest friend from NFF! Beth
    http://www.rubysupcycledesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Stopping by a bit late to say thanks for tagging along this week at the Tuesday Tag-Along blog hop! I'm a follower of your blog! :)

    http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful transform... the chair slip cover is really nice!
    Found you on SCC......

    http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following you over from New Friend Friday!

    Stop by and enter my giveaway:
    http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/2010/05/eco-friendly-peter-rabbit-organic.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, I love your blog and will be following. I am trying to become a crafty DIY type of person- I have always wanted to be but was always so scared of messing up. I am learning that my mistakes are just going to make me better.
    I found you on the girl creative, please stop by mine, it's very new and i would love feedback.
    http://novicemommie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Trista - I was the same way, but being married to one of the cheapest, erm, most frugal men on the planet has forced me to find crafty ways to get the high-end look I want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love slipcovers, and the monogram just takes it over the top. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on the desk color. It's subtle, which I like a lot. The monogram also is gorgeous -- reminds me of antique initials on Swedish clocks. Great style. Jane F

    ReplyDelete
  11. It never ceases to amaze me what some fabric and paint will do. Nice job on your monograms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful job! I never would've thought to slipcover a chair like that. You are brave and very talented. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the monogram. adorable chair .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on BOTH!!! It's fun to do a transformation on 2 things and then put them together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That chair with the desk is awesome! It doesn't even look like the same chair. Great job.
    Stopping by from Sassy Sites. Visit me @ www.pinkapotamus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete